CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Concours Air Conditioning

:blink: Hi guys! Just hoping someone out there is willing to help. The air conditioning compressor went out on my '96 Concours the other day and I have ordered a new one (not reman) along with several other parts that I understand need to be replaced at the same time. What I would like to know is if any of you can offer any advice or assistance on exactly what I need to do the make sure I get this job done correctly? I especially need to know if anyone can tell me exactly where the orifice tube is located. I have done some research and have some idea on what needs to be done but would like to hear from someone who has actually tackled the task. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot! Caddydude

Caddydude, I am also about to tackle this job and have the same questions that you have. I still need to purchase the accumulator/dryer as I am told it should be replaced also. I also would love to know where the orifice tube is and how to put oil in the compressor and dryer. I saw an earlier post were 8 oz was put in for the compressor and 1 oz for the accumulator.

I am also concerned as to whether or not my accumulator will be damaged if I do the work on a Saturday/Sunday and get it charged on a Monday, will the air that is in the system from the new compressor and new accumulator damage the accumulator before I get it evacuated and charged? It is my understanding that AIR damages the active material in the accumulator. Thanks, Mike

the air left in the system will be fine for a day or so, just as long as you pull a long deep vacumm.

I changed the compresor out on my 96 eldo with a four "seizons" I never had a problem with it.

depending on how/why the compresor failed dictates what else must be done to the car. (AC system)

if a total failure, all lines MUST be flushed, along with condensor and evaporator.

the orfice tube MUST also be replaced, alonw twith the accumulator.

8 oz in the compressor (add it to SUCTION HOSE) with the compressor in your hand, and turn about 8 times.

just add the rest of the oil with the charge (on a AC charging machine)

you MUST pull a deeo vacumm for no less that 15 mins.

after all that, just pull a vacumm, and charge the system up, and you are good to go.

:blink: Hi guys! Just hoping someone out there is willing to help. The air conditioning compressor went out on my '96 Concours the other day and I have ordered a new one (not reman) along with several other parts that I understand need to be replaced at the same time. What I would like to know is if any of you can offer any advice or assistance on exactly what I need to do the make sure I get this job done correctly? I especially need to know if anyone can tell me exactly where the orifice tube is located. I have done some research and have some idea on what needs to be done but would like to hear from someone who has actually tackled the task. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot! Caddydude

The orifice tube is in the high pressure line at the evaporator.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at the Helm Manual (if I am reading it correctly) - it appears that the compressor itself only gets 2 ounces - the entire system combined would take 8 ounces total - Compressor gets 2 ounces; Evaporator gets 3 ounces; Condenser gets 1 ounce and the Accumulator gets 3 ounces.

I seem to recall that the quantity of oil in the old accumulator and compressor needs to be measured and there is a specific guideline in the shop manual about how much oil should be added to the compressor and accumulator.

You don't want to have too much oil in the system or cooling performance will be affected. I once drained 22 oz of refrigerant oil from a buddy's GMC Safari van... He had a line fracture and when the line was disconnected, the oil kept pouring out! Once I saw how much oil came out, I started asking him questions....oil was added repeatedly because he thought he needed to....

After the broken line was repaired, we flushed the entire system and I added the proper amount of oil to each component, evacuated and recharged the system and it cooled properly.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived