CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The rear shocks have an air pressure adjustment to level the car that does not affect damping. The damping is electronically controlled. I suggest that you check the tire size and air pressure recommendations on your door jamb and make sure that your tires are the right size and aren't overinflated.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The rear shocks have an air pressure adjustment to level the car that does not affect damping. The damping is electronically controlled. I suggest that you check the tire size and air pressure recommendations on your door jamb and make sure that your tires are the right size and aren't overinflated.

but like all moving parts dont these also wear out over time e.i. 119000 on the od

43655807_a46d727e81.jpg

My shocks and struts have over 140,000 miles on them and they are fine. Your mileage may differ. If the rear is "bouncy" then the shocks are likley gone. If the front end is "bouncy" then the struts are likley gone. If you don't see shock oil leaking out for some time, take your time before you decide to replace them. Electrically controlled shocks are expensive.

I was assuming that your ride was too firm. Hard tires can tell the electronically controlled suspension that the road is rougher than it really is, causing it to tell the shocks to stay on the stiff side nearly all the time. If that's the problem then you might get your ride back by keeping the tire pressure within a few psi of what is recommended on the door jamb.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

My shocks and struts have over 140,000 miles on them and they are fine. Your mileage may differ. If the rear is "bouncy" then the shocks are likley gone. If the front end is "bouncy" then the struts are likley gone. If you don't see shock oil leaking out for some time, take your time before you decide to replace them. Electrically controlled shocks are expensive.

I was assuming that your ride was too firm. Hard tires can tell the electronically controlled suspension that the road is rougher than it really is, causing it to tell the shocks to stay on the stiff side nearly all the time. If that's the problem then you might get your ride back by keeping the tire pressure within a few psi of what is recommended on the door jamb.

the issue is that my ride is a bit on the soft side. i have encountered the bump stops a little to easily a few times over normal terrain. granted the city i live in has less than standard road conditions however i think there should be more resistance than their is. while i was getting my tires changed i took a look at the suspension and did not see any leakage or any caked residue other than the normal road film. thetires seem to have made a difference ,but it still seems like for the lack of a better a term needs new shocks. i dont nkow what to look for to spot a nos part. ,but my 02 has 119,000 on it so im not sure what the expectancy for the air ride on this model is . this is my first caddy so i dunno that maybe its boat like ride

43655807_a46d727e81.jpg

The first thing to do is to look for codes. If you have a suspension or RSS code then the electronic suspension control, which stiffens your shocks temporarily when you hit a bump, may not be working. Clikck the link in my signature block for instructions on getting the codes, then post them here.

The first thing to do is to look for codes. If you have a suspension or RSS code then the electronic suspension control, which stiffens your shocks temporarily when you hit a bump, may not be working. Clikck the link in my signature block for instructions on getting the codes, then post them here.

i ran a diagnostic for the codes and didnt get any rss codes. my car either never registered the r.s.s. or never checked it in the systems test administered through the dash read out. i went throught the test cycle fw and rev. and never got a rss test for that sys. there were other codes but most of them were past codes not current. the only codes that were current were a few in the seat mem or some thing like that.

43655807_a46d727e81.jpg

Archived