CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Daylight Running lights

I saw on the Chrysler 300c forum that the cars don't come with daylight running lights. Then last night I was reading a brochure on the Jaguars and it said daylight running lights standard in Canada. Are daylight running lights not required in the USA anymore?

Jeff

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

The United States has varying laws -- I don't think they were ever "required" per se. Notice many newer GMs (including the CTS) have the orange front running lights on instead of the high beams at a reduced wattage. I'm sure there's a visibility spec (a certain candlepower at x feet away) that many manufacturers conform to. But there are a lot of vehicles sold here that never have had DRLs. Canada has required them for a long time. I remember taking a vacation up there in 1993 and noticing that all the cars had their headlights on. What was up with that? :)

Personally, I love DRLs, especially on the many two-lane roads I drive all the time. In fact, I start to get annoyed at folks who DON'T have lights on, but I realize I shouldn't take it that far... Passing on a two-land road is IMMENSELY easier if you can see the guy in the other lane...and with DRLs, that opposing car is unmistakingly clear. Without them, especially on a road shaded by a good canopy of live oaks and spanish moss, darker cars are almost impossible to see. My Nissan truck doesn't have them (1995 model), and I usually run with the headlights on, especially on said two-lane roads. Just down to the store and back, I generally don't think about it, but I try to always have them on. They make relays to convert your car to have DRLs, but I haven't gotten around to it yet, on the truck.

Every GM car by the late 1990s I think had DRLs of some sort. 1997 was the first year for DRLs on the Sevilles (I THINK...somebody please confirm), and for the Eldos and Devilles too probably.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

1997 was the first year for DRLs on the Sevilles (I THINK...somebody please confirm), and for the Eldos and Devilles too probably.

Howyadoin,

I think it might have been '96... My '96 SLS has them, and Consumerguide.com says '96 was the first year...

-Rav

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

"Refined Sugar" - '96 SLS, 175K

"...the Caddy is dedicated to relentlessly -- and comfortably -- converting time into distance." -J.J. Gertler

Thanks Rav. I wrote '97, then changed it to '96, then back to '97. I wasn't sure. Thanks for the correction. :)

I had a friend who bought a new 95 Concours on the same day that I bought my used 93 STS. I remember that we commented on the fact that his Concours had the running lights while my STS did not.

My '97 has a fuse under the hood that is labeled DRL, but the fuse is gone. My DRLs continue to work. Huh??

Archived