CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Performance wanted

rjhat

I have a 97 Concours. I've been looking for ways to squeeze out a little more juice from the northstar. Since this is the 300 hp version that requires premium gas, i assume that Cadillac has set up the timing in PCM for performance. Can anyone help?

Performance exhaust good for a few hp. Fairly inexpensive to replace the stock mufflers with hi-flow mufflers, but it will be louder. Same old question, how fast do you want to go? Nitrous Oxide can add 75-125 hp without internal mods.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I think you will find that the conscensus view is that any tweaks to the Northstar to gain performance/more hp have already been taken care of at the factory. There are really no easy mods to gain extra horsepower. Most have eventually found that outside of exhaust mods, stock is the way to go.

Anyone else care to chime in on their experiences?

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

Mixed feelings on a K&N filter charger for improved air intake. I say it can't hurt. If you go with an exhaust improvment go with the Dynomax Turbo's. I have them on my 95 SLS. they sound very smooth at normal driving speeds but if you punch it they do turn heads!!

Anything you do to alter the performance, make sure to do complementary changes. For example, if you're going to change the mufflers to high-flow mufflers, make sure to also switch to a low-filtration air filter to get the most airflow possible.

I'd say another 50 horsepower is probably a little optimistic without going to nitrous oxide or forced induction.

Prior to the 2000 model year, both versions of the Northstar engine are optimized for premium fuel. In fact, the only difference between the 300hp and the 275hp engines are the intake camshafts. Everything else is the same.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

RSM racing and www.domesticperformance.com sell larger throttle bodys for northstars. They also sell other performance parts for northstars, but some parts cost too much in my opinion.

Andrew Morris

Dallas, Texas

1998 Black Eldorado:

full custom Borla exhaust

Custom intake

1500 watt Hifonics amp

3 12inch Boston Acoustic G2 subwoofers

I-pod integrated

18 inch Lexani Krystals with Z-rated tires

E&G classics Billet grill

BMW E36 Angel Eye Headlights

Ported SS heads

Where did you get this idea?? I haven't found this to be true myself and know several people with Northstars who would also disagree.

Enlighten us! :lol: What have you done to yours and what are your dyno results?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived