CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cracked Rim: Repairable?

CadiKing

Somehow my wife cracked a rim on the '99 STS. Can you belive it? ;) I'm sure it wasn't me, after all, I would have noticed .:D That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D

Does anyone know if a crack, rather small, along the inside of the sealing edge can be repaired? If so, where? If not, anyone have or know of a rim. {16x7 7 spoke chrome} Have not been able to locate a single rim to match on ebay.

thank you everyone...

I have used these guys personally for badly bent rims. Excellent results, at a great price. Like $110 with returned shipping included.

http://www.fixrim.com

Wheels can usually be fixed - depends on your budget and the competency of the person fixing it. Chromed wheels have to be re-chromed if the damage is in a chromed area.

Hope it works out for you having it repaired. FYI - I have chrome 1999 STS 16" wheels starting at $225 (good used) to $295 (perfect).

happy trails,

~Doc

post-3-1087965068.jpg

I had a crack repaired on one of my rims. never had a problem with it since. i just took it to a local shop who could weld aluminum(sp?) it only cost me like 35 bucks. Before sending it out check with local weld shops especialy if it is on the inside lip. just have them drill a partial hole to stop the crack the weld it up.and i dont mean all the wat threw the rim either. just enough to stop it from cracking more.

Thank you for all the replies...

Logan, checked with fixrim.com, looks like they only accept rims from businesses. :unsure:

ByStorm & Larry, yes I let her drive it to get me beer! :lol:

BigFoo...Yes it leaks air, so it is cracked through the inside lip. :(

Doc, I'll let you know. :D

Donuts Kill, thanks for the suggestion. :rolleyes:

Thank you for all the replies...

Logan, checked with fixrim.com, looks like they only accept rims from businesses.  :unsure:   

ByStorm & Larry, yes I let her drive it to get me beer!  :lol:

BigFoo...Yes it leaks air, so it is cracked through the inside lip. :(

Doc, I'll let you know. :D

Donuts Kill, thanks for the suggestion. :rolleyes:

Have you tried GM parts houses online?

This site will respond to email requests for specific part number applications for your VIN. Add 20% for S&H. http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

Enter PN 12495066 as a test.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

www.fixrim.com will take wheels from individuals. I see their price has gone up $20. Old price was $109....new price is $129. Their old price is still shown in the ad movie script.

I had a discontinued BBS wheel that was bent pretty bad. I could not find a replacement anywhere....Came back looking like new.

One of the Cadillac chrome wheels I bought for the '93 SLS on eBay had a wobble to it.....they fixed that.

I do notice a large price jump if the damage is on the chrome side of the wheel.

It appears Cadrio Doc really has the best thing going.

Enter PN 12495066  as a test.

JimD,

Thanks for the part number and link.

Only problem I see is the package quantity is 4!

Do you know if I can buy indiviudally?

thanks...

Well, the saga continues...

Wife doesn't know what she might have hit, but besides the cracked rim, the oil pan has been hit. :o It has a dent in the middle which is also cracked and leaking. :( What would be the best coarse of action? I have an appointment to have the rim welded this morning, is it possible to weld the pan? If not, what about a piece of aluminum plate, .125 thick, cemented with JB Weld.. Would that hold indefinitely?

Any comments, suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,

Donuts Kill,

I have use self tapping screws with RTV to seal the last oil pan, coincidently, my WIFE put three holes in. It held for three years, until I unscrewed one of the screws by mistake! Last nite I used JB Weld with 0.062 thick aluminum to seal the leak.

We will see tonite if it holds. I made the patch 3" x 3" and kept it in place with a floor jack overnite. I did not use the new quick JB Weld, which sets in 6 minutes because I felt the overnite curing JB weld might hold better and longer.

Thanks to everyone for your responses, they are all appreciated.

Archived