CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Halp ! 1997 Seville STS HVAC wont run, new fan

I recently picked up a 97 Seville, and one of the things that needed fixed was that the blower motor wasn't running. There's power at the 12v going into the motor, and the ground seems to be good, so after I did a little searching around here, and saw that the origonal motors tended to go bad (and the one in the car was the origonal judging by the 1/2 inch plate, etc....), so I went ahead and swapped it for a new one.

Which didn't fix the problem. (Much to my dismay having shelled out 400 bucks for a new motor, and having dinked around moving the engine, etc... etc... to swap it).

The next thing to check I assume is the blower motor resister? Where would that be located and how would one gain access to it?

I'd think it was a fuse or relay or something since I've never heard the fan run at all (bought it in unworking condition), but than there shouldn't be power at the 12v correct?

That's kind of what I was afraid of. That should be behind the backseat somewhere or will that be buried behind the dash on that car? There's a few wreckers around, maybe if I pull it out and go rummaging I might be able to find one for not too dear. Do you know by chance if there's alot of variations on that particular part, or if its a part shared with the deville / eldorado / etc...?

Thanks alot for the help btw.

Its' behind the glove box. It has both electrical and vacuum connections on it. I could not tell you about compatibility, but I would think they are pretty much the same.

• 4 weeks later...

Forgot to update. Turned out the new fan motor (or it's circuit board and resister) was no good. With the old unit, and the faulty new one the middle (signal?) wire would read no current and the motor wouldn't spin. With the functioning motor it reads 12v at stop, and almost zero at full speed (anywhere in between for other speeds it seems).

Fixed now though !

Archived