CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

87 Coupe Deville

DrumGun13

Hey guys,

My caddy averages about 13 mpg. I put a tornado gas filter on and intake on the car. Also, i took off the catalyc converter. I want to know if there is anything else i can do to raise my fuel economy. Thanks

Oh God, you didn't :o Why didn't you come here and ask first? You'd have gotten an ear full and saved some money. I really hate to say this but the "Tornado" is one of the biggest scams ever perpetrated on the motoring public. Get your money back if you can and put it in the gas tank, you'll be way ahead.

Oh God, you didn't :o Why didn't you come here and ask first? You'd have gotten an ear full and saved some money. I really hate to say this but the "Tornado" is one of the biggest scams ever perpetrated on the motoring public. Get your money back if you can and put it in the gas tank, you'll be way ahead.

actually, it isn't my friend used it on his mustang and he got 8 mpg more to his tank so ha!

I went to look at an '89 Brougham a few months ago, when I test drove it it felt extremely sluggish. I opened the air cleaner and there was one of those Tornados in there, as soon as I took it out the throttle response came back and the car drove like new. I bought the car but the Tornado went right in the trash. You'd be better off making sure everything is in tune - check your plugs, wires, etc. and replace whatever needs replacing. Why did you remove the cat anyway, that probably hurt things rather than helped.

• 5 years later...

How about the standard tip: checking for codes? Sure, it is possible to get better gas mileage if you skip emission control systems (like the cat), but then you also have to program the PCM accordingly. Unless you have reprogrammed the PCM (few people would pull that off, I think), it is still programmed for having a cat, which means that it will try to maintain the stoichiometric ratio of gas to air (meaning that there is just the right amounts to result in only CO2 and H2O if the combustion is complete - the cat takes care of whatever unburnt fuel or CO that comes from incomplete combustion). Of course if your cat was plugged before you removed it, it's a different matter, as it could have been stealing power (and fuel economy). Another thing to consider is that the engine is probably designed for the back pressure of the exhaust system, so that if you remove the cat, things may work less well (someone correct me if I am wrong here). Anyways, what kind of driving do you do? 12 mpg could be normal if you only go back and forth a few miles in the city all the time, otherwise probably not.

I also think that it is a good idea to maintain working emission control systems on cars that have them.

I must agree with those that don't believe in the tornado. If it worked, car manufacturers would probably put them in from the factory. And there is a good risk of testimonials of it working being due to the placebo effect: when people have installed it, they expect better gas mileage and therefore subconsciously drive more carefully. This effect is scientifically very well documented, and the reason that medical trials etc are performed as double blinds (meaning that nor the person trying the new drugs nor the nurses giving them know which ones are actual medicine and which ones are sugar pills).

Once again: check the codes!

Archived