CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Gulp: Was beaten by a Honda

STS Scott

Yes, yes, it's true...a Honda Prelude took me as we were fighting for the single lane up ahead...about fifty yards from the light. This is the last straw for that damned "Traction Disabled" message.

I am determined to get the problem remidied...before I thought I could live with it (those second gear starts), but no Honda is going to show me his *smurf* end, with that gawd awful spoiler, anymore darn it! (I'm sure you can all understand my rage! lol)

So, lets get to it,

I have ensured the brake fluid is up to where it should be, however, the message "Brake fluid switch problem" usually accompanies the T/C Disabled message. The whole fiasco only comes about when the weather warms up, such as currently during summer, or even when going to Florida for the Winter (pops up right at the state line! lol)

I am throwing desperate line out to you guys! Please, please, how can I eliminate this damned lack of first gear?

As a token for your help, I promise to hunt that F**ker down, and let him hear that Northstar scream through first gear! (That is if his tin-can exhaust hasn't deafend him yet!)

Thank you!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

Have you taken a DIC "snapshot" when the problem happens? All the various system's parameter's can be reviewed later on.

Maybe there are some cumlative other-than-expected operating parameters that disable the traction control? Loss of either front wheel speed sensor (that really should set a code...)?.

A service manula should be able to give the various reasons why traction control would "disable itself".

I have heard of a "disable" switch in side the glove box (not on my model), so that

is where I would start. First, something like a bad switch itself or loose wires (assuming the circuit must be closed to remain enabled)

Good luck :(

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Scott

I feel your pain! My Eldo has a bad torque converter which causes slippage from standing through forth gear. Even though I’m still able to hold my own with most of what’s out there, it would be a lot different with a healthy converter. Not too long ago, I went at it with a Jaguar (V8) and he was able to match acceleration but was not able to overtake me. If only I had a healthy converter. On a good day the converter seems to slip less, which allows a brief glimpse at what could be if it was healthy. Recently, I smoked a Grand Prix GT by manually shifting from first. My Eldo. spun off the line until traction control activated. He stayed with me for a couple of seconds then it was all over. As I passed him a gave him the old "Nice Try" look.

I was beaten the other night also by a Dodge Ram type of truck that was fairly new. However, in my defense, he had already begun to accelerate and was moving ahead before I realized he was trying to overtake me. I was doing about 45 and when I punched it, it did not downshift, it just pulled but not quick enough to let me overtake him and I had to get off the gas as we were running out of room. He and he friend of course thought it was funny, and I was initially embarrised. But afterward, I thought about it and realized that he had the jump on me, no biggie, uneven playing field, my fault for not paying attention..... Mike

Thanks for the support guys! I guess I'm not the only one out there who didn't get the credit in a race, due to ill conditions.

TDK, what do you mean by a "snapshot"? Pulling codes at the time of the problem?

I am not equiped with a service manual, so I am at the mercy of someone who does have one. Would it specify the various reasons and solutions to my problem?

Does anyone have any idea why the car would only disable first gear when it's warm outside?

Thanks

Scott

Well Scott a month ago my brake lines where shot, and lost alot of fluid, my T/C was disengaged so I also had the 2nd gear starts. I took it to my mechanic and he replaced all the steel brake lines and a few other parts.

Fixed it up.

Hows your brake fluid level?

I'm not sure about this but is there any sensors down there that could be acting up?

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

yeah, 45 mph siunds like the "dead zone". without the downshift even a caddy v8 will have a tough time in a dog fight. the only solution to that dilemma is to be heads up on the mirrors: if you see him coming, then you can make your move to a manual downshift and be ready for him. i still enjoy surprising the hell out of people with my 14 year old caddy...they just don't expect the punch from "an old man's car". jackg 90seville 94k

yeah, 45 mph siunds like the "dead zone". without the downshift even a caddy v8 will have a tough time in a dog fight. the only solution to that dilemma is to be heads up on the mirrors: if you see him coming, then you can make your move to a manual downshift and be ready for him. i still enjoy surprising the hell out of people with my 14 year old caddy...they just don't expect the punch from "an old man's car". jackg 90seville 94k

Thats a good description of it, the dead zone! LOL.... all it did was bog... I have to be more alert next time...lol

I ran across a couple honda's but I was ready for them. One time a prelude pulled up along side and I knew the guy was going to take off and try to cut me off to make a turn So I dropped mine into second gear at the light and we both took of about the same time and I was pulling awy from him real good I had a couple car lead on him then I backed off at about 70 The guy didn't like that too much and just kept on going. Some of those honda's are fairly fast don't know there specs but this honda's had big wheels and tires and a loud exhaust system not up on the honda' exhaust sys. so I didn't know what it had but I beat him that's all that matters.When I run across these people who I just know are going to take off qiuck and cut me off I will drop mine into second gear and leave it there and sure enough they will try to pull some BS stunt to cut me off.. Good way to do some WOT's or blow out the carbon on the way home from work to make it an interesting ride home..

Good Luck

Jim

Thats a good description of it, the dead zone! LOL.... all it did was bog... I have to be more alert next time...lol

What you could use is the old 4.9L engine.... ;)

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

yeah, you've got to be ready: think of it this way: the guy who is gunning for ya, KNOWS he's making a move...he's got it in his head to overtake you. under those circumstances, if you're not in the right gear when he makes his play, you won't have time for the downshift to save you. in some cases, you just let him go and wait for the next time.

as far as hondas go, they're plenty quick ONCE they get rolling...from a dead stop they've got no bottom end...but on the cam, watch out. jackg 90seville 94k

STS per your question below:

TDK, what do you mean by a "snapshot"? Pulling codes at the time of the problem?

I am not equiped with a service manual, so I am at the mercy of someone who does have one. Would it specify the various reasons and solutions to my problem?

Yes, the driver can setup the DIC Digital Information Center, to take a snapshot of a host of operating parameters with a press of one or two buttons and review them later on when it is safe to do so. Look up "snapshot" + OBD-I and OBD-II (whichever On-Board-Dianostic system your car has) in this sites's archives.

Basically, you get into the dianostic mode by holding OFF and WARMER together for several seconds (with engine off, but ignition on). Most of the dash lights will cycle and then the information center will scroll through various current and history codes. Pressing AUTO will get you out. Be carefull ! - you can get deep enough to change a few things like any computer and very few parameters have user-frienly hints. :unsure:

I have only scratched the surface of what you need to know - to get any usable information from the diagnostics. Goto the following site for a very good explanation. http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd1.html along with most codes. Post the codes that you might find carefully along with the conditions. There are a lot of "good hands and heads" on this site - who are a whole lot smarter than I am about this stuff.

This is why GM mechanics go to real schools to operate the high-dollar dianostic computers plugged into the car's neural net. They're not simply guys who like to get their hands dirty. :D

I'm guessing the problem has something to do with a mechanical feedback subsroutine, that the traction control algorithim requires for proper computation and application of either front brake (as one post alluded to). One brake might not engage just right, but not enough to post its on code. Rather than allow a side-sliding burnout with no steering control - at full-power, the system goes to SAFE MODE and defaults to 2-gear starts with not enough torque to break the tires loose. Just a wild guess on my part... B)

Now, when you're talking about getting into the brake system, it may be time to turn it over to an certified mechanic.

Personally, I tend to avoid brakes altogether and prefer maximum velocity and directional input as required to get past issues. However, if braking is the last rung in a quickly-executed logic-ladder (know when to fold 'em) - I also prefer that brakes actually work as intended. ;)

Good luck and don't let it get worse (more expensive to fix). :unsure:

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Thank you for the detailed resopnse TDK. I will go about retrieving those codes.

Scott

QUOTE (Scotty @ Jun 18 2004, 03:59 PM)

QUOTE (justgreat @ Jun 18 2004, 04:01 PM)

I have found with mine that at 40 MPH it will down shift back to first but at 45 it won't. I have wondered if it would hurt the transmission of you just pulled it into first gear manually at 45 MPH?

Jim

I have found with mine that at 40 MPH it will down shift back to first but at 45 it won't. I have wondered if it would hurt the transmission of you just pulled it into first gear manually at 45 MPH?

It probably won't shift back to 1st, even if you pull the shifter back. If the PCM wouldn't command a downshift at that speed, the shifter wouldn't affect one either.

By the way, with the 3.11 transaxle, mine'll downshift into 1st at that speed I think. It's close. Starting out in 1st, it'll scream all the way to about 50 mph in 1st gear. :D

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived