CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Should you top off oil?

Scotty

First I want to say that this is not intended to be a discussion regarding oil consumption problems, although who knows maybe the discussion will go that way. I do need to keep an eye on how many miles I get to quart of oil, I think its about 2,000 miles per quart, which I am told is acceptible for a high performance engine. All I know is that the 65, 66 and 67 429s were pretty high performing and they did not use a drop, never checked it. Of course that engine never got up to 5500-5800 rpm, nor did it produce >1HP per cubic inch. BUT, as I said this was not intended to be an oil consumption discussion.

My question is when you get down a quart, do you top it off? And why not? I think I have read here that you should not top off, maybe I am mistaken. I don't put oil in unless it hits one quart.. I understand that because it takes so much oil that being a quart down its not such a big problem unless you are doing hard g turns, is that true? What if it hits 2 quarts? Is is heat attack time if the ADD OIL light comes on? Yes I am confused about this what do you all think? Mike

Is is heat attack time if the ADD OIL light comes on? Yes I am confused about this what do you all think? Mike

Thats Heart Attack if the ADD OIL light comes on! Mike

Mike,

Every cadillac I have owned ('71 '72 '73 '81 '83 '85 '92) burned 1qt per 1500-2000 miles. This Northstar burned 1qt per 800-1000. I had always kept it toped off to the full mark. After finding this site I only put 7 qts at oil change and never add a qt til it drops off the dip stick. Now I get 1500-2000 before I add a qt. I have come to believe that keeping it toped off to the "full" mark just gets oil misted by the crankshaft and sucked through the PCV. To answer your question I keep it between the "ADD" mark and the tip of the dip stick or when it tells me to "CHECK OIL".

No, "heart attack time" is not when it gets 2 qts low (when the light comes on), you still have 5-5/12 qts in the sump. Now I would not run it WOT on an expressway on ramp like that but if you drive "normal" it should be no problem.

The "hard G turns" is true.

I agree with Larry G. But for my .03:

I don't think Caddy would put in an low oil sensor that only alarmed when it was already too late. As much as for g-turns, the 7.5 qt capacity is probably also for mucho-grande reserve. Considering the run-without-coolant design mentality, I would be suprised if they skimped on a few ounces of sheetmetal for the oil pan.

It might be interesting to know the "limbo-point" (how low can you go). However, only a Guru-type might know that "tested" number and scenario. Although I don't think he would advise Caddy owners on anything against their bible (owners-manual) - he might inform us on NorthStar validation.

ps, where DO you check the oil ?

Just kidding... ;)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Mike:

I rely on the CHECK OIL LEVEL message and I pay attention when the message displays at a hot restart on level surface.

The oil level is off the dipstick when the message appears. I add a quart at my convenience (no reason for heart palpitations).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

It might be interesting to know the "limbo-point" (how low can you go). However, only a Guru-type might know that "tested" number and scenario. Although I don't think he would advise Caddy owners on anything against their bible (owners-manual) - he might inform us on NorthStar validation.

I have asked Bill this question before and he said they run them on the dyno's with as little as 3 qts. I am sure he would not recommend that and neither would I but I am sure 5 qts is nothing to get upset over unless as I said you are taking on ramps WOT.

I agree with Larry G.. I add 7 L at change time and only add a L when the level is near the bottom of the stick. This brings the level up between add and full.

I never bring it up to the full mark.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Not something to obcess over....LOL.

Oh, c'mon, you've been here long enough to know better than that!! :lol:;)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived