CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trunk lid 'ajar' telltale is illuminated with the ign key Off/lid closed. It's bassackwards from how it's supposed to act. NOW, the telltale is ON when the lid is closed and is OFF when the lid is open. According to the SM there is a bad diode in the pull-down motor and the fix is to replace the PD motor, so I did that. It is not the cure because there is no diode in the motor. I'm thinking it must be in the body of the switch that attaches to the PD motor. There are 3 wires from the fuse-holder to the switch, and the switch has a 2-contact connection to the motor. I've found a Wells switch(SW5790) that may be the right one, but it's a special-order item. Rock doesn't list a switch for the PD motor. The picture of the switch has only one view, so I don't know if the switch is correct and I can not find a schematic for that switch that would verify the location of the diode. Anyone know for sure where that diode is? Thanks

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

Trunk lid 'ajar' telltale is illuminated with the ign key Off/lid closed. It's bassackwards from how it's supposed to act. NOW, the telltale is ON when the lid is closed and is OFF when the lid is open. According to the SM there is a bad diode in the pull-down motor and the fix is to replace the PD motor, so I did that. It is not the cure because there is no diode in the motor. I'm thinking it must be in the body of the switch that attaches to the PD motor. There are 3 wires from the fuse-holder to the switch, and the switch has a 2-contact connection to the motor. I've found a Wells switch(SW5790) that may be the right one, but it's a special-order item. Rock doesn't list a switch for the PD motor. The picture of the switch has only one view, so I don't know if the switch is correct and I can not find a schematic for that switch that would verify the location of the diode. Anyone know for sure where that diode is? Thanks

Well, I replaced the pull-down motor per the SM recommendation. No change. I don't know where that diode is, but I'm thinking it has to be in the latching switch that feeds power to the PD motor. I took my perfectly good old PD motor apart....just a regular DC motor, but no diode. I really don't care about having the PD motor working to close the lid, but I'd sure like the glove compartment switch to 'pop' the trunk. The bad diode has the BCM 'thinking' something is wrong in the circuit and is illuminating the 'ajar' telltale, plus some other circuits are being backfed a ground....a bad thing. I've got the trunk operating like a normal trunk....key to Open/manual close. Being able to open the trunk from inside the car is handy, but until I fine the offending diode, the old-fashion way will do.

In your first post...you state that there are three wires to the pulldown motor.

I am guessing...but one should be POWER...maybe the other two are for "OPEN" and "CLOSE."

Is there any way those two could be backwards...thus sending wrong info to the BCM.

Just a thought...

Posted Image

I've got the wiring schematic, but don't know how to post it here. One wire is Hot/one is ground/one is coming from the PB switch in the glove compartmant. That PB sw is a NC-momentary contact switch which Opens the ground circuit to the release solenoid.

The part # for the switch I need is: #16603372. IT contains the diode within the body of the switch. This switch was used in the '85-'91 model years. It is discontinued! So, if anyone has one laying around, I'm interested. Thanks

The part # for the switch I need is: #16603372. IT contains the diode within the body of the switch. This switch was used in the '85-'91 model years. It is discontinued! So, if anyone has one laying around, I'm interested. Thanks

Check this out...

About halfway down the page...

5 bucks

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/pts/1333865469.html

Posted Image

Thanks for that Jim. U R a fine human-being! I fired-off an electronic inquiry to the poster and await the reply. Losta parts at good prices, so I'm gonna do some research on part #s used in my '87 DeVille. I 'think' there is a part number list for each model/car made, but I've not found that yet. Again, thanks for that listing. I appreciate your help!

I bought the part and should have it installed by Wednesday. That will take care of that little annoyance. Next project is to find someone to install the dual outlet muffler/pipes I have waiting in the garage. I checked out that list, but only the switch was something I could use. Thanks again!

Archived