CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Welcome to Caddyinfo!

Have you tried using www.rockauto.com or www.gmpartsdirect.com ? They both have good prices and you could find the part number on one of them I'm sure.

There's also a discount code for rockauto if you click the link at the bottom of this message.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Welcome to Caddyinfo!

Have you tried using www.rockauto.com or www.gmpartsdirect.com ? They both have good prices and you could find the part number on one of them I'm sure.

There's also a discount code for rockauto if you click the link at the bottom of this message.

I can't tell which is which, as the diagram for both is identical (showing US version). Not got it figured out, but they were a bit more expensive than I'd hoped (would be close to $900 total).

I found out that the export headlight housings for 92-97 Seville, SLS, and STS are the same ones as the C5 Corvette. Wiring adaptations are necessary, but the housing part numbers are:

LH #16524063

RH #16524064

I'll probably do this conversion sometime this year. It'll cost about $400.

• 1 month later...
I've got most of the stuff to do this change on the way now. I'll post a picture or two when I get done.

Cool...I would like to see what it looks like when you are done with it.

Posted Image

I've got most of the stuff to do this change on the way now. I'll post a picture or two when I get done.

Cool...I would like to see what it looks like when you are done with it.

Yeah, I had Roger in Sweden send me pictures of the front of his car before I ordered this stuff to make sure I think I can get away with it. The lights do look a little funny, but not so strange that they'd really get much attention. Mainly, they look funny to me because my familiarity with the car means that I know what's amiss whereas most people wouldn't notice at all. Instead of 2 parts, the export lights have a single H4 segment, and all internal non-reflector area is dark grey. That gives them an aggressive look, but also makes them obviously not the icy looking DOT lights. I don't want the police to notice and give me a ticket for them. Knowing the superior glare properties of the lights, I doubt a ticket is likely. It wouldn't be glaring other drivers that would get the attention. In some states, E-Codes are permitted anyway and wouldn't be a problem at all (CO, WA, OR, and maybe VT or CT or one of the other New England states). I'm in TN, and I do some night driving on a 55mph road with little traffic or lights. There's also 100 miles of deer, skunk, fox, and raccoon infested road between me and most of my family which I do have to drive at night sometimes.

You aren't likely to get away with high wattage bulbs in a US DOT headlight setup, but high wattage lights can easily be run in E-Codes without blinding other drivers on low-beam. After I've had the lights with stock wattage bulbs for a few months, I plan to wire a relay setup to tap the lights straight from the battery with 12 gauge wire so I can run the 85 watt bulbs. I want to make sure that I need to watt-up first. The regulars might be ok. If you've ever driven behind E-Code lights, you know how much better they are and you'd rather not do without them.

I did manage to find the lights for less than $100 each at www.cibieusa.com on special. Not sure how much longer the sale is, but I've seen them for over $300 at Eckler's. These housings are either manufactured by Bosch or Cibie (depending on date), and are labeled Guide. Plenty of C5 Corvette owners use them. Oddly enough, US Corvettes didn't use the glass Seville light, but a plastic one that fits the same space. There's a new quad-round HID projector aftermarket light setup for C5s that I'd like to see on a Seville, but it's terribly expensive. It's called the Light Cannon. C5 owners drive faster than Cadillac owners and they're nearly universally displeased with the amount of light from the stock setup and have made several options available. I would consider the Euro housings with high-watt H4 bulbs to be functionally the best solution.

Dave,

That sounds very interesting.

I have driven a good bit in Tn..at night...but usually just on the interstates.

I "HAVE" driven a lot in East Texas at night, on secondary roads, and the lighting on most cars is TOTALLY inadequate.

By the time you "SEE SOMETHING" it is sometimes too late to do anything.

I used to run the old LUCAS FLAMETHROWERS on the front of just about every car I owned...till I could no longer get them.

I had the rectangle ones that mounted on the bumper...like fog lights.

They were EXTREMELY BRIGHT and long range... kinda like aircraft landing lights. :D:D

Also replaced my high beams (in some cars) with the Lucas replacements...which were a lot brighter.

Anyway...let me know how this all works out for you.

Posted Image

I sure will. If you want to know about better lights, look at http://www.danielsternlighting.com. He's an expert on automotive lighting and knows all the functional tricks to get better lights on a car. He won't suggest stuff like eBay sourced HID stuff that won't help (and which every third Accord around here has). He can get or steer you to stuff like E-code lights, better bulbs, and premium fog and driving lights. He also sells quality Cibie headlights that fit cars that use sealed beams. I put a set of those on my dad's C4 Corvette several years ago and they're fantastic even with stock wattage bulbs. If you liked the Lucas high beams, I'm sure that Stern can find you something similar for driving lights. My driving problem at night is that the state's road crew put down about 20% as many road reflectors as they used to. As roads have been repaved in the last 10 years, they often become harder to drive on at night (especially in the rain) because there are so few reflectors. Without the reflectors, you MUST have good lights, and you should have them because of the deer anyway. Stern has a good grasp on what a driver needs for the different situations.

Some of his articles just about make you scared to drive at night. I especially worry about his reference to blue tinted bulbs, which I see people driving with all the time. They put out less light than untinted bulbs (duh!), but can give the illusion of "better" light. This can make people more confident about their ability to see when they can actually see less. Yikes.

• 11 months later...

I sure will. If you want to know about better lights, look at <a href="http://www.danielsternlighting.com" target="_blank">http://www.danielsternlighting.com</a>. He's an expert on automotive lighting and knows all the functional tricks to get better lights on a car. He won't suggest stuff like eBay sourced HID stuff that won't help (and which every third Accord around here has). He can get or steer you to stuff like E-code lights, better bulbs, and premium fog and driving lights. He also sells quality Cibie headlights that fit cars that use sealed beams. I put a set of those on my dad's C4 Corvette several years ago and they're fantastic even with stock wattage bulbs. If you liked the Lucas high beams, I'm sure that Stern can find you something similar for driving lights. My driving problem at night is that the state's road crew put down about 20% as many road reflectors as they used to. As roads have been repaved in the last 10 years, they often become harder to drive on at night (especially in the rain) because there are so few reflectors. Without the reflectors, you MUST have good lights, and you should have them because of the deer anyway. Stern has a good grasp on what a driver needs for the different situations.

Some of his articles just about make you scared to drive at night. I especially worry about his reference to blue tinted bulbs, which I see people driving with all the time. They put out less light than untinted bulbs (duh!), but can give the illusion of "better" light. This can make people more confident about their ability to see when they can actually see less. Yikes.

Ok, I finally got everything and got it in the car, so I'll revive this old topic for anyone interested.

5011823013_26283c080f.jpg

Here's what they look like shining on a wall

4995376609_efbcc792e1_z.jpg

And here's what they look like on the front of the car. Forgive both the cellphone image quality and the fact that I need to repaint the area under the lights.

Archived