CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Replacing brakelines STS 1995

manowar77

Hello everybody!

Today i was at the annual car check and the motor vehicle examiner said that the brakelines that runs from the front to the back on the left side under the car were starting to rust,so i better change these soon...

Does anyone know what size there is on the threads at the end of each line,and also on the nuts?

And also how long each line are that runs from the front to the back (left & right side line)?

Thanks

Roger Martinsen

Roger Martinsen

The brake hardlines are ISO fittings (at least my '97 Eldo does). You can buy varying lengths with the proper fittings on either end, be sure to buy unions that match. Advance, Autozone and so on sell the proper hard lines and fittings.

I just did this job on my former '94 Eldorado. The nut is a metric bubble flare nut. You would use a 12mm combination wrench to tighten it. I say this because there is a nut that is 10mm . You want the 12mm nut. You should check the nut on your Seville first. I doubt it changed from '94 to '95. At the proportioning valve on the left side rear, I believe the nut size is 14mm. If you have to replace the line to the proportioning valve I would try to salvage that nut.

It would be M12 x 1. It's not standard 3/8. I'll double check the brake line I bought. I believe I have a 6-inch unused one in my tool box and it will have a label stating the size. The brake line is 3/16. You should be able to buy a roll of 25 feet.

Here is a Flare Identification Chart

Notice the bottom example (10mm x 1.0 metric nut with DIN/ISO) flare. You will see that it's the ISO bubble flare. However, the nut should be a 12mm nut. In other words, a 12mm combination wrench is used to tighten it. Why there isn't an example of one, I don't know. You need to have the ISO bubble flaring tool. The example given on the left (3/8 x 24 UNF British Girling nut with old style bubble flare) is NOT correct.

Here is an example of the ISO bubble flare tool you will need.

Just bought a Bubble ISO Flaring Tool Kit on Ebay for 34 dollars and the seller ships internationally!

Thanks for the help!

Roger Martinsen

Excellent! I also just want to give you a couple of pointers when flaring.

1. Put a drop of oil on the part of the tubing to be flared. It will make flaring easier and will assist in making nice uniform flares.

2. Notice in the "Flare Identification Chart" (post # 6) that the bubble flare has a nice small flat ridge/surface after the bubble, which creates a wall where the nut will be torqued against. This is the way the flare should look. If this ridge is too thin then the wall will not be optimal. So when you use the tool provided with the flaring kit to measure the length of the tube to be flared, it would, of course, be best to measure the perfect amount of tubing, however, if it's not perfect, it would be better to be a thousands of an inch longer than shorter since you don't want the ridge to be thin to where it looks like it has a sharp edge.

Also, my tool box is in my Eldorado where it's parked to be worked on. I will get to the tool box tomorrow to see if I have that extra tubing to check the label. Otherwise, I'll go to my local parts store and ask if I can take a look at the tubing label.

I checked the brake line I have and the label doesn't specify exactly what it is. All you have to do is make sure you buy a metric thread nut for a bubble flare and make sure the nut size is like the original, which should be 12mm. Again, the nut at the proportioning valve will likely be 14mm but it will still be the metric thread.

I would recommend that you use flare nut wrenches rather than combination wrenches. In order to get a good seal these need to be quite tight and a combination wrench can slip and strip the nuts. In some locations I have had to use a flare nut, crow foot socket. Hard thing to find until I talked to the Snap-On guy who visits the plant where I work.

Actually, I used a Crowfoot attachment like the one pictured in the link, which worked great. But I bought mine at Sears so it wasn't cheap--$80. I needed it, so I had to splurge.

Archived