CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

weird Power Steering Problem

Ruud

When the Caddy hasn't been out for 2 days, it is impossible to steer to the left. After I turn the steering wheel fully to the right it operates normal again for the rest of the day :unsure:

Any ideas?

Spool valve in the steering rack may be hanging up - new steering rack and power steering pump. If the spool valve has failed it can throw debris into the power steering fluid, thus into the pump itself and then ruin your new power steering rack.

Spool valve in the steering rack may be hanging up - new steering rack and power steering pump. If the spool valve has failed it can throw debris into the power steering fluid, thus into the pump itself and then ruin your new power steering rack.

if the spool valve has failed would this problem not be there all the time? It's only at start-up from cold. 1 turn both ways and the problem is solved.

Spool valve in the rack. Common GM issue with racks of that era. The O rings created wear spots.

So common there was a nickname. 'Morning sickness.'

Only at cold startup. Rack would be ok for the rest of the day.

Spool valve in the rack. Common GM issue with racks of that era. The O rings created wear spots.

So common there was a nickname. 'Morning sickness.'

Only at cold startup. Rack would be ok for the rest of the day.

Thanks Logan,

I've spoken to the first UK owner of the car last night. he imported the vehicle in 1996 and told me the problem already existed then, so I guess it doesn't get any worse since it's been there for 13 years..lol

Archived