CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Shifter Installation

jrdjrd7

my 96 is real easy ,put the shifter in "d" or lower to create more room.there should be like a staple clamp towards the bottom of the leather handle {the side that faces the radio}.use a small screwdriver to pry it off.grab the shifter it should come right off.mine was getting all worn out. i used leather dye"shoe polish"several coats,looks brand new now!

Thanks for the info. My leather knob is worn to the point where the leather is not restorable. I believe the 95 and 96 have different shifters. I found a small tab just where you described it, but it's mostly pushed in. Would like to hear from someone who has changed a 95. Thanks again. John

post-3-1087173953.jpg

John, I believe it's the same procedure that WONTGOSLO posted above. That clip has been a "staple" of GM console shifters for years; pardon the pun. My '84 Cutlass had a T-handle shifter and it was exactly like that. Take a very small needle-nose pliers if you have one (or buy one for 2 bucks at Walmart) and ease that clip/staple out of there. You might have to work it, but it'll come out.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Thanks guys. I did as you suggested and the replacement took all of about 5 minutes. The color of my new leather shifter does not quite match (got it for $25 bucks at a local salvage yard), but it looks a lot better than my old one. Anyone know where I can get a shale (light tan) one that is in good shape? John

John, I believe it's the same procedure that WONTGOSLO posted above. That clip has been a "staple" of GM console shifters for years; pardon the pun. My '84 Cutlass had a T-handle shifter and it was exactly like that. Take a very small needle-nose pliers if you have one (or buy one for 2 bucks at Walmart) and ease that clip/staple out of there. You might have to work it, but it'll come out.

Jason,

I used to work for the shifter supplier and that's exactly what we called the clip - a "staple".

A small screwdriver works well for moving the clip out far enough to be gripped by needle nose. There is a crown in the legs of the staple - make sure that the crown side is up upon reassembly.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I used to work for the shifter supplier and that's exactly what we called the clip - a "staple".

Most of my mom's side of the family lives in Michigan, and my cousin, who lives in Holland, works for Johnson Controls. She said they actually supply a lot of interior parts for the Big-3. Same company?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Randall,

My dealer says the only color he can get is 'graphite' at around $155.00. I really want a tan one to match the rest of my car. The replacement one I got is kind of dark olive-green and while it's good looking and in very good shape, it really doesn't match any part of my interior. Guess I'll keep looking at the salvage yards and on ebay. John

Most of my mom's side of the family lives in Michigan, and my cousin, who lives in Holland, works for Johnson Controls. She said they actually supply a lot of interior parts for the Big-3. Same company?

I used to work for GHSP in Grand Haven - they supplied the big-3 as well as the import manufacturers with console mounted shifter assemblies, indicators, and knobs.

We did send the GMX-310 (Bonneville) shift assembly to Johnson Controls to be integrated with the console.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived