CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Paint Damage Update

growe3

After four weeks in the shop,repairing rock chips in the paint, and the chipped windshield, I was able to get my 2004 DTS back. It looks great. It got a complete going over for the chip repair, and both bumpers completely redone. The rear bumper was not damaged from the rocks, but did have a few minor scratches and was not painted right. The extra cost for that, I paid out of pocket; it was definitely was worth it.

After going over the front end, the shop decided to replace the grill, as they could not buy the small chrome strip separate.

The car was repainted Midnight Black with clear coat, using PPG paint. There is a little of the tough to get rid of "orange peel", but it is very minimal. The clear coat was sanded for flatness, and then buffed/polished.

The lower couple inches of the bumpers were painted a matte black, like the Durabed Liner, for chip resistance. I am not sure if that is original or not. Both bumpers were smooth paint before. This matte paint makes a nice accent, where it was applied.

I didn't like the original pinstripe color, so I had them changed to red; they show much nicer now. They did a first rate job painting them back on. Below is a photo of the right front fender, showing the new red pinstripe and the nice shiny paint.

I will be taking more photos, to see all aspects of the car, and post for anyone interested in seeing how this repair turned out.

-George

post-141-1247124870_thumb.jpg

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Additional photo of the left front.

-George

post-141-1247125284_thumb.jpg

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

That looks GREAT.

Like the pin stripe.

Just something for you to think about.... 3-M Clear Bra on the front to protect it from rock chips.

I have over 60,000 on my '06 and not one rock chip in the paint.

I HATE ROCK CHIPS. :D:D:D

Posted Image

The car looks great, gotta love fresh black paint. I am usually not a fan of a red pin stripe but it looks good on ur DTS!!

The original pinstripes just were not distinctive enough for me, looked more like a shiny highlight than pinstripes. I was also considering a blue or green, but settled on the red as a more traditional color combination.

-George

PS

My "signature photo" is still the old paint, I will be updating it soon.

DTS_Signature.jpg

That looks GREAT.

Like the pin stripe.

Just something for you to think about.... 3-M Clear Bra on the front to protect it from rock chips.

Bra?...Hmm..... I don't know, doesn't soundly manly to me. B)

DTS_Signature.jpg

That looks GREAT.

Like the pin stripe.

Bra?...Hmm..... I don't know, doesn't soundly manly to me. B)

It may not be very MANLY...but it protects HER whole front and keeps HER from getting beat up. :D:D

It was just a thought.

I remembered your other thread about all the construction around your place.

Posted Image

Archived