CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Is there ever a need for a scan tool?

fredster

Lol.. My OBDII doesn't show me crap. I wish I had something to show the air/fuel mixture, timing, air flow, fuel pressure, trim, etc.. I expect I would have to have one of those fancy devices to do that.. (tech II or something)

Unless someone has other ideas?

Haha....

We dont even use the on board diagnostics. We just plug in our Tech2....

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/376867...70_plot_010.jpg

Faster.....

Bidirectional: You can turn things on and off like fuel injectors, EGR valves, fuel, fan relays etc.

Record data for glitch recovery. You can also plot the data.

As for the original question about hidden codes. The onboard diagnostics should show all the codes. The Tech2 will also show all the codes.

That being said....some aftermarket scanners will not show all the codes. GM has some codes that are called enhanced codes. Only the GM Tech2 will show all the codes.

yeah man, i think there is a need for it.. gonna buy one for myself to scan my familys OBDII's, that way we'll atleast have an idea of whats going on.

OBDII sets the SES light for anything emission related, might just be a loose gas cap.. sure beats a diagnostic charge of $80, few times and it pays for itself !

geez i love my caddy :lol:

Logan, how much does a Tech 2 cost, approx. i want one bad

and is it tech 1 compatible? (GM ;)

With software...its about $3000. The current standard GM software will work back to 1992 GMs. There is a software card that can be used for 1981- 1992 GMs, plus coverage for Ford and Chrysler.

The Tech1 has been discontinued. But there was a global OBDII generic cartridge released for it. Powertrain only.

Is there anything else you can use besides the t2 ? And can the t2 upgrade the software on the pcm or do anything fancy like that :)

Most aftermarket scan tools are NOT bidirectional. They are a simple 'read only' scanner. The Snap On scanner is a good example. With some reverse engineering...Snap On has figured out some EGR on/off commands etc. Snap On is limited to powertrain options.

The GM Tech1 and Tech2 have always had the bidirectional control. With the proper software you can go anywhere in the car. ABS...airbags...HVAC...ride control....trans.....

Now with Class2 data networks.....Corvette door codes? Yeap. You can just about get into any system. And turn stuff on/off for testing.

You must use a GM Tech1 or 2 for PCM programming. You must also have a interface to a PC that has the GM programming CD.

More info.....

Vetronix invented the Tech1 in the late '80s....

Vetronix currently handles all the computer code for GM. Still does.

Late '90s. Hewlett Packard sells the 'new' Tech2. It uses Vetronix software. GM standard dealership issued equipment.

Vetronix buys out HP production. Now current builder of the Tech2 and their famous Mastertech scanner.

Bosch buys out Vetronix. Bosch is now the current owners.

There is one thing....that the Tech2 will not do. But I will only post that if there is some interest....

Another $3000 box...

There is one thing....that the Tech2 will not do. But I will only post that if there is some interest....

Howyadoin Logan,

Now c'mon... How you gonna keep us in the dark like that?!? That's just a flat-out tease, man... :huh:

-Rav

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

"Refined Sugar" - '96 SLS, 175K

"...the Caddy is dedicated to relentlessly -- and comfortably -- converting time into distance." -J.J. Gertler

Oh.....it will get you laid. Just not in a natural way...20 yr prison term.

Currently work on a case. In....Losisiana.

2000 GM truck accident with a motorcycle.

No airbag deployment.

There maybe should be some near deployment data recorded in the Chevy.

Cops get search warrant. Grab airbag SDM module.

No data stored in the module.....there maybe should be...

The state now claims the module must have been swapped. Going as far to say that maybe a midnight SDM swap @ the junkyard was done.

Hmmmmm......possible...

Complete BS

Key words....near deployment. Its a system out of control. Near deployments are a soft record stored in the SDM. You bump the module.....it rewrites the data.

We know of one state that taps the module....to test the ignition count. Unless the defense lawyer is there and buys into the procedure....its desruction of evidenice.

Start over....

For info try-

www.airbagcrash.com

Logan

www.airbagcrash.com

www.logandiagnostic.com

Lol.. My OBDII doesn't show me crap. I wish I had something to show the air/fuel mixture, timing, air flow, fuel pressure, trim, etc.. I expect I would have to have one of those fancy devices to do that.. (tech II or something)

Unless someone has other ideas?

One other idea is at http://obddiagnostics.com/index.html

Requires a laptop and displays / graphs many real time parameters. Download the software and run it in DEMO mode to get a feel for the (read-only) capabilities.

NO, it is not a Tech 2, but it is not $3,000 either.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Jim...got your email about the fascia the other day ....oh well.....it was an idea..

As for the listed software.

It appears to be powertrain only. No bidirectional control. No Class2 data etc.

Archived