CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2003 Seville

I've got steering wheel switches to control my radio and fan speed and cruise and so forth. The little lights in the switches are out. Anyone know how I can identify these switches? I've tried on GM parts direct, but can't seem to find them.

I had a similar problem - one of the lights went out. Back then, it was still under warranty. The dealer had to disassemble the steering wheel to replace it. Yup, that means dealing with that airbag.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

Good luck. Please let us know if you find a source for the switches.

I think that if the lights burn out, the entire thing is replaced, so you might have problems finding a separate part number for the light bulb. However, if you can find replacement light bulbs you should be able to replace the lights yourself with the use of a soldering iron.

Are *all* your steering light bulbs dark? If so, you might have another problem, like a bad connection or something simple like that.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

IPB Image

The switches use a traditional blub. Compared to LED's used in the IPC.

The switch bulb can certainly be replaced with a new bulb if your handy with a soldering iron.

I do not have a part # for the bulb.

I did attach a picture of a switch bulb.

post-2-1247200055_thumb.jpg

Good luck. Please let us know if you find a source for the switches.

I think that if the lights burn out, the entire thing is replaced, so you might have problems finding a separate part number for the light bulb. However, if you can find replacement light bulbs you should be able to replace the lights yourself with the use of a soldering iron.

Are *all* your steering light bulbs dark? If so, you might have another problem, like a bad connection or something simple like that.

And I have the part number for the Bulb!

You can get them at radio Shack

Bulb 272-1154

The part number is 272-1154... these are also good for all of the back lit switches in the car... the TRAC switch and the heated seat switches too.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

How did you find the part number for this bulb? I mean how did you cross reference it?

IPB Image

I did this in my monte carlo.. for both the switches and bulbs within the switch...

Its just standard electronic parts, It will make more sense when you take apart and see it....

It wasn't too bad.. just gotta know how to solder.. in the Monte I didn't have to pull the steering wheel though.. managed to just pull the switches outta the hole..

How did you find the part number for this bulb? I mean how did you cross reference it?

It took me the better part of 3 hours to figure out this was the bulb.

First I cross referenced the GE part on the bulb to a Delco part number (from a supplier in England) who was out of stock... only to discover that the Delco part was disco'ed and superseded by a Delphi part that was also disco'ed... Then after about an hour of searching I got the technical specification for the Delco and GE bulb (Volts, Amps, and size)... The size was tricky , from memory these bulbs are called "rice grain" bulbs and are also referred to as wheat grain bulbs and "T1" bulbs... But at least I was getting close... So then I googled the Volts Amps and size and came up with the Radio Shack bulb...

I then googled that bulb and discovered that this is THE bulb that most GM guys used to fix Vettes, Toronados, Allantes, Grand Ams. Trans Ams, any GM car with tiny back lit switches...

Oh but wait there is a twist... So I head over to my local Canadian Radio Shack... and in Canada the bulbs are DIFFERENT... same part number but in Canada the bulb comes without the plastic "base"... Oh and in Canada the bulb is being discontinued too... So I buy 5 of them. The bases are glued on with epoxy and can be swapped if you are careful... So I soldier in one into my drivers seat heater switch and a second into the TRACtion control switch and...

Yup they work... They are slightly brighter then the passenger seat switch but that is probably because that bulb is on its last legs.

Since then I have been to the States and I have bough several of these bulb at Radio Shacks in America.

The American Bulbs come as the picture shows with the base, ready to go...

The guy at the store told me that he sells lots of these and that they are used to fix the back lit buttons on most GM cars.

In the States this bulb has not been discontinued... at least not yet.

I have not soldiered in an "American" bulb... I will as soon as the next bulb dies... and I will report back. I suspect that the Canadian bulbs might be a different amperage and that account for the slight difference in brightness. But slightly brighter is way better then burnt out and less then $2 for the bulb is way better then $80 for a new seat warmer switch.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Archived