CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How do I replace the steering wheel?

I am trying to replace my leather wheel with a woodgrain. I tried to get an idea on how difficult the job is going to be. I cannot even figure out where to begin this job. Can someone give me some pointers on how to do this.

The steering wheel I found is from a 2000 Deville and it has the control for the fan speed on the left side where mine has the on star access, which I find USELESS. I will just have to deal with the button not doing the job as its shown.

Thanks everyone for all the help!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to replace my leather wheel with a woodgrain. I tried to get an idea on how difficult the job is going to be. I cannot even figure out where to begin this job. Can someone give me some pointers on how to do this.

The steering wheel I found is from a 2000 Deville and it has the control for the fan speed on the left side where mine has the on star access, which I find USELESS. I will just have to deal with the button not doing the job as its shown.

Thanks everyone for all the help!!!!!

I'm not sure were to tell you to start on replacing the steering wheel. I did find a link on youtube.com.

It shows the replacement on a late model Tahoe/Suburban. It may be different on the Deville. The airbags can be very dangerous and I would think seriously before I tackled this job myself. It may be better left to a professional.

I have been looking on e-bay for a wood wheel for my 2001 Deville and have noticed that some of the steering wheels pictured have the buttons installed on them and others do not, so it may be possible to switch the buttons and their surround onto the new wheel along with your airbag module and cover.

post-11522-1247752602_thumb.jpg

post-11522-1247752618_thumb.jpg

2001 Deville, Sterling Silver exterior with Dark Gray leather, 93k miles

Start by removing the upper and lower column shroud. Be careful, the upper has a hidden male torx head screw on the inside to the right of the column. Then you can get at the air bag screws (pull the fuse first). The rest should be pretty self evident once you see it. A FSM would explain all of this.

Archived