CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

spark plug thread #342509845

bigfoo

I know you guys say the delco platnium plugs can go over 100k but i just pulled some of mine out and they all have over 0.60 gap .. some are .65 even or more.. 78k miles, driven pretty hard .. plugs look good, white residue and little dots on the ground and the ceramic , no damage, etc but the gap is getting up there considering it's supposed to be 0.50 .. the plugs are 41-950s .... now just to figure out what to replace them with.. was thinking NGK iridium plugs .. should work better, but of course the lifetime is probably 40k miles.

How often do you check your plugs :)

Just sold my '99 Deville, 107k miles, original everything...

On the performance sites, Camaros, Vettes, etc... nearly everyone recommends the Dual Platinum OEM Delco's over everything else, Quadtips, 12 tips, whatever, Iridium, Cobalt 60, Uranium, whatever...good ole Delco Dual Platinums...

My Dos Pesos :wacko:

How often do you check your plugs :)

I check mine when/if they start to misfire. 125K on my '92 when I traded and never touched the plugs. If it ain't broke ....... ;)

same thing with me... 130,000 miles old and they were gapped about .7, but they were worked just fine, and they were a nice soft brown color... am definitly going back with delco plats.

If I ever have to replace my originals (135k originals, mind ya), I guaran-dadgum-tee ya that it'll be with genuine AC plugs!

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Hehe.. some of the plugs i pulled out were over 0.70 .. I got some of the denso iridium plugs.. will post after i put them in.. I started to, but then massive rain came swooping in after i took the plugs out so i had to close the hood heh

All 8 of my original delco platinum plugs were "expired" at 50K. All eight plugs had the platinum missing from the ground electrode. The platinum either came off or was never installed.

As a result of this, I don't hold the Delco plugs in the same high regard as others.

I am currently using NGK platinum and they work very well and cost less than half of the Delco plugs.

I'll see how long the NGKs last. If their life is half that of a "good" Delco plug, I might consider using the Delcos again.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

I just bought 4 AC Delco's and was thinking of saving some money and buying the NGK Platinums based on Barrry94's experience. Is it okay to mix plugs like that?

I think you would be setting yourself up for trouble in a possible rough idle. I would never mix unless I had to. Mike

All 8 of my original delco platinum plugs were "expired" at 50K. All eight plugs had the platinum missing from the ground electrode. The platinum either came off or was never installed.

As a result of this, I don't hold the Delco plugs in the same high regard as others.

I am currently using NGK platinum and they work very well and cost less than half of the Delco plugs.

I'll see how long the NGKs last. If their life is half that of a "good" Delco plug, I might consider using the Delcos again.

Barry

It is my understanding that the earlier platinum plugs were a bit prone to losing the platinum tip. A couple of mine were gone at about 45K. It is also my understanding that this problem has been corrected. I believe there were some posts regarding this issue about a year or so ago.

FWIW

YMMV

DFB

spent $52 and some change on AC plats yesterday... not too bad. You can just skip a couple oil changes to make up for it. ;) should you always use anti seize on threads and dialectric grease on plugs? I used both.

should you always use anti seize on threads and dialectric grease on plugs? I used both.

I haven't used either before and never had a problem. But it's cheap insurance, especially in an aluminum head. If I ever change the plugs on the Seville, I'll for sure use anti-seize.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I finally got mine all changed..... Did it without taking off the coil pack but it was a very tight squeeze..... One thing I noticed was that the original plugs were REALLY in there.. I can't describe exactly how much force i had to put on them to get them to unscrew but let's just say it was more force than I thought should be on a sparkplug to the fact that I was worrying about breaking something (i'm a pretty strong guy). (and of course the fact that the heads are aluminum)

Anyway i replaced them all with the DENSO IT16 plug after quite some time trying to GAP the plugs without touching the center electrode.... took some time. they are all in there.. i used anti oxidation compound on the wires but nothing on the plugs (i've never used anything on the plugs in any of my cars like anti sieze compound or the like)

most of the delco's i took out were wide gaps like .6 and some .7 and it looked like every single one the platinum pad was gone. I'll take a picture of one and post it just for fun :)

I definitely think the car runs 'smoother' now.. other than that I can't tell much of a difference. Guess ill yank one out in 10-20k miles and have a look-C at it.

The delcos i pulled out were 41-950 25176918 , new ones are Denso IT16 5325? i think

Hmmmmmm.. i bent one of the grounds all the way out so i could look at it.. and maybe the pad is there.. there's a teeny little dot in the center of a depression which i thought used to be a pad but i guess it's just worn out. The electrode is there on all of them but they are worn, some of them are misshapen.. all the plugs are also covered with what looks like silvery white spray speckles.. like really really really small round balls of silvery white stuff stuck to the ground and the ceramic and the electrode sides.. Couple of the plugs the ceramic looked like it was chipping off a bit but nothing major.. for the most part they looked good, no major damage, no oil, no chunks taken out of the metal, etc.. some of the plugs were over .7 though in gap and some of the electrodes looked like someone hit them with a hammer on top so it was a bit misshapen.. also the top of the threads above the nut part (where the ceramic part connects into the metal part where the socket nut is) there is a bunch of brown stuff.. looks like rust but i don't think it is.. just brown powder. I'm suprised these things lasted this long :> I've never had plugs last almost 80k miles before, especially with the way I drive. Changing to the new plugs did seem to make some vibrations i was having going down the highway get a little less.. maybe engine was missing a few sparks here and there causing some odd vibrations

Archived