CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

90 Fleetwood Coolant

Our 1990 Fleetwood FWD has black antifreeze and uhh yea I figure that's a problem. My grandfather had purchased the car new and only had driven it for two years. Over the other 12 years it has mostly sat in the garage other than the one trip to Calgary years ago. I know more than certain that the coolant was never changed until last fall...and no, no supplements were used because no one had ever asked or checked into them before I found this wonderful wonderful site. Just wondering if I flush the system again and put a pack of supplements in, will this cure the black or is there another way to get rid of the corrosion. The car is still new in my regard and still has plastic on the floor. I’d like to keep the rest of it in that condition too. Any help is always appreciated. Thank in advance :D

Spence

Probably your best bet is just to start changing annually until the corrosion inhibitors become effective and the black is drained out. Just a drain and fill each time, using distilled water and coolant. If I had that car, I would really be tempted to use some type of flush in it, but that is not advisable from what I've read on this board. Two main areas of concern would be the heater core, and the transmission heat exchanger, if there is one in the rad tank. If either of these corrode and leak, you are in for big trouble, particularly the tranny cooler.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

What about changing the radiator...If the car is in as good as shape as you say, the a flush of the heater core and new radiator install might be in order....That way you dont get the trash from the corrosion in the trans or heater core.....

Just an idea to help save you car!

BLACK COOLANT :o That can't be good. I would try to find out what it is. Perhaps some kind of algae if that is possible in those temps. Then maybe fill with algicide and flush a day later. If nothing else I would definately go for some type of cooling system cleaner then flush it good and refill (frequently).

Actually algea is a possibility, or some other type of bacterial growth. Both are definitely possible while the vehicle was sitting. It was not at an elevated temp for a LONG time, from what I read. The elevated temps MAY kill the actual infection itself, but the dead organisms are still there. Ethylene Glycol does contain an algecide in the additive package, not so sure about a bacteriacide. I have some Excide bacteracide that we use in fuel storage tanks to kill bacteria infections. Its main ingredient is gluteraldhyde, not something you want to keep around the house. ANYWAY, that is one reason that I would recommend frequent coolant changes and maybe checking the PH of the coolant to clear up the problem. One of the mechanisms that bacteria infections damage fuel tanks is by turning the fluid (water) more acid, lowering the PH, this accelerates corrosion of metal parts. I'm sure the same thing would happen in an engine.

Now that I think about it, changing the rad IS the best thing you can do. If the tranny cooler is weak (if there is one in there) and coolant gets into the transmission, you can plan on replacing the tranny. You could take your chances with the heater core, no MAJOR damage would be done.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Any time I pick up a used car that has dark coolant I take it to the mechanic and have them do a power flush. $70. or so but the peace of mind is worth it. Always a new cap & hoses also. Cheap insurance...

Archived