CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Defroster kicks in, some digital "blanks out"...

'92 Seville STS, 4.9L, 147k miles, I have a random, intermittent quirk, which seems to be associated with the A/C or HVAC Computer. Defroster kicks into high, all other button controls associated with that are "locked out" Off, Auto, Econ, etc... also the outside air temp read out, inside temp set, avg mpg, miles to go, and on the information readout below the tach/speedo, the "coolant temp" read "-----", the "voltage" and "oil life index" read normal readouts. It is truly a random occurancebut seems to be more prevelant when outside temp is above 88 to 90. IF I can fool the system by immediately putting it into "Auto" A/C mode, and IF the system catches, compressor start etc...it seems it will stay there all day. Right now I just took a 40 mile drive, I couldn't fool it at start up, so the defroster kicked in, (nice hot air off the windshield Thank You), and drove 20 miles, shut it down for an hour, did the same thing coming back home. About 1 mile from home at a stop light, the A/C kicked in, and all readouts went to normal for 30 seconds, then it went back into "defroster mode" for 15 seconds lost the readouts, then it jumped back into normal A/C mode and the readouts returned once again before the light changed. Stayed that way until I pulled into the driveway. I am sure it's a computer failing or a corroded connector somewhere. If someone could tell me where to start looking, I will start pulling panels. Fuses, etc... are all good. I can pull a fuse from under the hood, A/C blower or something, and it kills the system, but also kills the self leveling suspension. Turns into a "low rider" :blink: after a few days. Actually looks pretty good slammed !!! :P Anyway, this appears to be the last issue I have with this little Seville, she runs great otherwise, it should after all of you guys helping me.

NOTE: I was just digging around the Firewall area, I found 2 electrical plugs disconnected, I doubt if they are related to the above, but one has (flat plug) 3 wires, b;k/wht, red/wht, (16 guage) and a Blue (18 guage) Plug says P.E.D. on it, It is near the heater core area. I see no place to plug it into.

Second one is near the blower motor on firewall slightly offcenter towards passenger side. It has 7 wire holes with 5 wires. Also says P.E.D. on it. Also a wide flat plug..reading from left to right from the rear of the connector plu, there is a b;k/wht, red/wht, blk, green, skip a hole, yellow (PED marked below wire), then skip a hole. I just wonder what these are for. My Clymer (Sucks) Wiring Diagram doesn't show these. Any idea what they could be? The Seville has all options, including Sunroof, etc...I cannot find a recepticle anywhere in the vicinity that would accept these male type connectors, just curious....

Its either a bad IPC/cluster or one of the computers on the UART circuit 800 has gone bad.

All the computers 'talk' to each other on circuit 800. When one of them goes bad you get a bunch of 'loss of data' codes and get '--' on the display.

The computers on the loop are:

DERM

ECM/PCM

RSS

ACP

ABS

I bet if you check the codes you will have a bunch of 'loss of data.'

The hard part will be figuring out which one it is....

I033: Loss of Supplemental Inflatable Restraint Data

I034: Loss of Powertrain Control Module Data

I cant find these in my service manual, but looks like a bad Computer to me.

Jeff

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

Those are the 'loss of data' codes I was talking about.

The IO codes are for the IPC /cluster. They are in the cluster section of the factory service manual.

Exactly like I said, one of the computers has gone bad. Finding the bad one can be very time consuming. Intermitant ones even more so....

The most I can find in my Service Manual for the 90Seville is code B334, which is what I think I had. Anyway, it's Loss of ECM data. If i'm not mistaken, ECM and BCM are the same computer??? Since you got an I034: Loss of PCM Data, I'll give you what my book says for loss of ECM data:

* an open in CKT 800 between teh ECM and programmer and a second open between the ECM and the CCDIC.

*A faulty ECM or ECM MEM-CAL.

In my case, after checking grounds and ckt 800, it led me to a faulty ECM. I get confused but think ECM and BCM are the same, and maybe at a later date like 91-92, they changed it to PCM???

During the time the failure is present, a fail soft value equal to 100C will be used for the coolant temperature, the cooling fans will be commanded to high speed, and no ECM diagnostic information will be available for display. Also, while in the sevice diagnostic mode, this code will remain active, always checking for proper operation. I think I've totally confused myself, how about you?

Jeff

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

ECM is "engine control module" and has been changed to PCM "powrtrain control module".

BCM is "body control module" and has been changed to PZM (I forget what that stands for). platform zomething module :lol:

I'd check all grounds and make sure the wire harnesses are plugged into the computer tight. Then, start looking on ebay for a Helms factory service manual....it will give you step by step troubleshooting trees. Don't know anything about those two loose plugs. hmmmmm

Jeff

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

The 1990 service information will not apply to the 1992. Completly different car and computers.

The IPC on the '92 IS the body computer.

He has mutiple 'loss of data' codes. These means the data on the data line is corrupt.

He needs the factory service manual.

• 2 weeks later...

I found the PCM behind the glove box. I wiggled both connectors around, they sem to be real tight. I tried to pull them off to look at the actual connections, squeezed the release clips, but still couldn't get 'em off. I'll try again just to see if they are clean. The outside of the connector looks good though. It appears that the system wants to go to 75 degree, defroster mode now a little more often, even if I get into A/C mode first...Hot air blowing onto the winshield is real fun ;)

in 100 degree weather...I found another site with A/C stuff in general, and there is a condition there, "Code 5" referencing the BCM, that puts the defroster in to 75 degree mode....hmmm sounds like my problem. I think they have a phone number...I'll call 'em and see wassuupp...

Archived