CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Replacing inner tie rod end on 91 Eldorado

skyman

The inner tie rod end on my 91 Eldorado needs to be replaced. The GM shop manual lays out the procedure and says that the rack assembly needs to be removed and the procedure done on the bench. My mechanic says he's not going to remove the rack assembly and that he can do it on the car. I'm a little concerned that the rack might get damaged if it's not done following the manual instructions. Any thoughts on this>?

I would not be concerned. There is a special tool that is a large spanner type socket that is uded to unscrew the inner tie rod from the rack while it is still in the car. That is pretty much the standard way to repair the inner tie rod. The only thing that can't be done is to stake the inner tie rod but Loctite is used instead.

If I needed inner tie rods (and I thought I did on my '97 STS until I troubleshot the problem further) I would use the special tool - no way would I remove the rack - that is a PITA job.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I would not be concerned. There is a special tool that is a large spanner type socket that is uded to unscrew the inner tie rod from the rack while it is still in the car. That is pretty much the standard way to repair the inner tie rod. The only thing that can't be done is to stake the inner tie rod but Loctite is used instead.

If I needed inner tie rods (and I thought I did on my '97 STS until I troubleshot the problem further) I would use the special tool - no way would I remove the rack - that is a PITA job.

Thanks for the help

Sky

Archived