CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Coolant expansion tank, etc.

Hello!

I'm looking for some insight regarding the life span of the expansion tank and cooling system hoses! I'm just shy of 120,000 miles, and replaced the radiator last fall due to leaking side tanks. Since early spring, I've been getting the "low coolant" message every two months or so. I simply top it off with the pre-mixed dexcool, and move on with life! She always runs between 205-225, and I've drained/refilled the dexcool every 2-3 years.

Finally tonight, I realized what I thought was a puddle of a/c condensation in my parking space, was actually coolant. I poked around with a flashlight, and it seems I'm loosing coolant from the bottom of the surge tank, specifically from the hose. While my upper/lower radiator hoses still *look* good, the hose running from under the surge tank is sad looking! The hose clamp is corroded, and the hose itself looks dry and white. I didn't even bother trying to tighten up the clap, as putting a wrench to it looked like it'd break both the clamp AND the tank. Also, I noticed white-powdery 'coolant trails' leading off the small purge line on the top of the tank, indicating that hose may be toast too!

Is the tank and its related hoses normal wear/tear items? Is the expansion tank (and coolant level sensor) all dealer-only parts? I didn't see it, or the hoses, listed on rock-auto, so I thought I'd ask here before I call the dealer (which I avoid at ALL costs!!!).

Hope everybody has a nice weekend! Thanks for the help!

-Scott

....Is the tank and its related hoses normal wear/tear items?

Yes.

Is the expansion tank (and coolant level sensor) all dealer-only parts?

Yes. The pieces are year/model specific.

I didn't see it, or the hoses, listed on rock-auto, so I thought I'd ask here before I call the dealer (which I avoid at ALL costs!!!).

To have any hope of purchasing new OEM parts, you should act soon because you (and I) are past the ten year OEM parts mandate.

My favorite option for locating and purchasing OEM parts is:

Palm Chevrolet Cadillac Saab of Gainesville

2600 N Main Street

Gainesville, FL 32609

352-376-7581

Cadillac Parts Department

Have your VIN available

Mention that you are out of state and asking for web-sales pricing. If the parts are available anywhere in the various GM parts locations, they will be willing/able to find them for you.

Otherwise, you are facing a recycling yard hunt.

The hoses/clamps etc. are certainly available anywhere; but the tank/reservoir is not. The composition of the tank plus the fluid temperatures/pressures involved make leak repairs a challenge. To put it mildly.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Once you locate the needed parts, you might try taking the printed quote to the local dealer and see if they will match the price if you don't want to wait for shipping.

Some will...some won't.

Posted Image

Archived