CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New Shifter Installation

Yaemish

I just bought a mahogony (no button) shifter that goes to a newer model STS. I would like to install it on my 96 Eldorado which uses the leather bound (button) shifter. I need some help not only removing my old shifter but direction on how to install my new shifter and still be able to get the car out of park and reverse being that there is no long a lock button. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't think you will be able to accomplish this successfully. You will need to figure a way to operate the park lock cable with the new shifter. The new shifter has one cable and uses a serpentine pattern to provide the shift detent rather than the pushbutton on the shifter knob and two cables.

I don't recall if the cable travels are the same for the '98+ shifter as the '93-'97.

To top it off, there will be fit-up issues with the new shifter bezel to the old console. The consoles were completely different.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The PRNDL indicator changed once or twice in that timeframe as did the entire shifter assembly for the '96 model year.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Will the 93 thru 97 interchange? Do they look the same?

I THINK they will interchange, but they're not the same. Every 92-95 model I've seen has the "t handle" shifter. In 1996, with the interior redesign, the shifter changed to a "cobra head" shifter (as someone here on this board described it).

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived