CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Adding Subwoofer/Amplifier to 1999 STS

Just wondering how hard it is to add a Amplifier/Sub-woofer setup to the original system of a 1999 STS for more bass?

Is there an easy way to hook(power block/RCA cables/ etc.) into existing system? :huh:

Today is the day you were worried about yesterday!

I would either use a professional installer or work with the manufacturer of the equipment. The first thing that they are going to want to know is what radio you have. There are quite a few available for my 1997 Eldorado and I know that the 1999 STS had a similar selection. The Bose radios used active speakers, so the wires to the speakers were shielded twisted pair cables, while non-Bose models have autio power on the speaker cables. Also, the number of speakers and their placement differs.

Where and how you splice in the power supply to the 12 Volt power is not simple. If you have a high-power system, you can cause problems with the car by tapping in just anywhere.

If you plan to disconnect or change the existing radio you are opening up a whole new set of problems. Cadillacs have for many years had electrical systems that consist of about ten computers (the number of computers depending on model and options) that are connected through two car-wide networks. The radio is operated through a computer called the IRC, or Integrated Radio Chassis. One of the things that is stored in the IRC is the vehicle VIN, and the car will tell the IRC not to operate the radio if the VIN is incorrect. If it isn't connected to the network, replies with the wrong VIN, or does not provide a VIN, the car will throw an OBD II trouble code and the car's built-in theft prevention system may cause problems.

Thus I would get the radio option from the options sticker in the spare tire compartment and check with the vendor of your equipment to make sure that they support installation of their equipment in your car. If they don't convince you, call another vendor.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

It's not that big of a deal. The original system sounds awsome as it is , but I just wanted to add a little more thump. :D

Today is the day you were worried about yesterday!

Just pick out an aftermarket supplier that supports installation of their equipment on your car, with your radio option. Then, get their instructions and follow them.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 2 weeks later...

i put a full system in mine a few weeks ago (97 STS). It had a standard Delco 4 speaker system. I originaly bought a standard 24 pin wiring harness for my pioneer head unit, was about 20 bucks and it didnt work. Had to go back and and get a "special" 24 pin harness that looked the same but came with a chime and some wires were differenet, was about 150 bucks. Works great but some times my head unit wont come on when i start the car. Also i had to tap the power wire direct into my amp power wire. Shoddy manufaturer i guess.

I added a 1000 watt RMS alpine sub amp with 2 Type R 12's in a fibreglass box, and an alpine 4 channel to run alpine fronts and rears. The rears were NOT fun to change, but the process saved my an hours labor on my tint because i waited to bolt everything back in :) Had to run a huge power wire from my battery to my trunk. Running the door speaker wire wasnt much fun, took a long time. The rear speaker wires and all the RCA's were easy. I think there were less than 4 screws i had to take out to remove trim.

Most sub amps (and most amps) have high level inputs so you can run speaker wires direct instead of RCA cables, but RCA cables will sound much better and usualy require an aftermarket head unit. FOr simplicity and just adding a bit of thump, hit up future shop or best buy or the like and get a box and amp kit. Not the ideal place to shop but you arent looking for high end and its not overly expensive. Just make sure if you have a bose system with powered speakers that you talk to an installer there to make sure the amp you want will work, and they will tell you how to hook it up. Matter of fact, im pretty sure an install like that (trunk work only) wouldnt even cost much and would come with an install warrenty.

One thing you may want to consider: I wasnt happy with my original set-up. I had a 500 watt sub amp and it just wasnt enough to push sound through all that leather from the trunk to the passenger cabin. I went with the 1000 watt amp and its MUCH better but it cost a lot more. Its NOTHING like these other cars you see with fold down seats or seat centers, or a hatchback/SUV. It takes good power ands planning to make sure you get the right sound.

Archived