CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Crankshaft position sensor

tco43

Our 2001 STS occaisionally stumbles or dies outright. It will restart almost immediately, but can be really troublesome in a traffic light situation.

It shows a PCM P0335 that I believe to be CPS A circuit malfunction.

The Cadillac garage says they can be had for $56 and $64. Are they difficult to replace? Must the front mount come out? Are there problems to watch out for?

The wiring seems ok, unless I missed something. Is there a trouble point to recheck?

Thanks for any help. Paul.

It seems that the problem of "phantom stalls" is kept to the very late 1990s cars and early 2000s cars. Is there anything that changed between those cars and ones from the mid-90s? I've never heard of a "phantom stall" on any car 1997 or earlier.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Our 2001 STS occaisionally stumbles or dies outright. It will restart almost immediately, but can be really troublesome in a traffic light situation.

It shows a PCM P0335 that I believe to be CPS A circuit malfunction.

The Cadillac garage says they can be had for $56 and $64. Are they difficult to replace? Must the front mount come out? Are there problems to watch out for?

The wiring seems ok, unless I missed something. Is there a trouble point to recheck?

Thanks for any help. Paul.

crank sensors are pretty easy to replace?

Maybe I'm looking for something else, but the CKP's I could hardly see let alone pull the wire connector off and replace. Do you go from the bottom up or from the top down? It looks like you would have to take the oil filter off, remove the motor mount and then you might be able to see it better. Then you'd have to borrow ET's fingers to get to it? Help!! I have a 97 seville sts and am troubleshooting a hard starting problem. I do not have any PCM codes. I've done several pressure tests on the fuel system. Everything checks out ok. Ign to on, 46psi, start 43psi, shut down pressure holds at 43psi. This tells me that the fuel filter, fuel pump and Fuel press regulator are ok. I've replaced the spark plugs, but not the wires...yet. When it starts there is, sometimes, rough idling. Sometimes to get it to start on the first time I'll put the gas pedal to the floor and that appears to help it.

Also, about the CKP's, I've read that the o-rings could just be bad and that alone was allowing the sensor to incorrectly read the crankshaft?

The fuel pressure should be between 48 and 55 psi, and should not drop more than 5 psi after sitting for 10 minutes. Have you checked the pressure regulator vacuum port for signs of fuel? If depressing the accelerator helps starting (by admitting more air), the start-up mixture is likely too rich, either from leaky injectors or a failed pressure regulator.

The fuel pressure on GM cars will rarely hold the pressure per GM specs after shutdown.

The pressure readings sound ok.

You get to the crank sensors from the bottom. I would avoid at all cost dismantling the oil filter assembly in any way. You will have to remove the lower large spash panel.

Its tight....but the sensors can be changed without touching the oil system or the engine mount. 2 things working against you.....you have to overcome both the O ring....and the magnetic attaction of the sensor to the crank.

Maybe about a 45 minute repair.

I recently purchased the 1994 Concours and have had extensive work done on the lower end (replaced the crankshaft seal). Since then, sometimes at start, it runs very rough and other times running smooth with no bucking. I have several PCM Codes; P023, P025 & P083. I have reading with interest the comments regarding the crankshaft position sensor. If that sets P083 would that in turn cause the P023 and/or P025? I am not very trusting of the Cadillac dealer (seems like a lot of smoke and mirrors). Any information will be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

Archived