CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

No fuel

Phillip

I have a "no start" condition that is threatening to ruin my day. I checked a few things and found that I have no pressure at the fuel rail. When the key is turned on, there is no discernable click, or any other sound from the fuel pump. The fuse and relay check OK. Any suggestions for the next step?

Fuel pump could very well have died.

A quick test would be to spray a little bit of starting fluid in the engine. If it catches for a second very good chance its a bad pump.

The gas tank has to be dropped to remove the pump assembly.

Yea, I am beginning to think that I will have to remove the tank this weekend. I checked the fuse and relay; they're OK. The grounds seem good. I am not getting any codes, so I tried it without the fuse and got the appropriate code, so I assume the PCM is OK. That only leaves the fuel pump I guess. I metered from the fuse panel and found the resistance across the pump to ground to be about 34 ohms. Does that sound right?

Thanks.

Its been a while.....

34 ohms at tank side sounds exactly like a bad pump OR bad pump in tank wiring. Should be maybe 1.5-2.0 ohms.

The in tank wiring connections can get blued by excessive curent draw on a old pump.

Please be sure to check every inch of wiring, and the actual intank connections. I bet you will find a blue wire/connection.

By the way, what is a "blue wire connection". Is this a connection in a blue wire, or does it describe a bad connection? Is there something specific I should look for. I assume that any "in tank" connections will not have the usual corrosion so the deterioration may look unusual.

Thanks for the help. These in-tank fuel pumps are new to me.

Blued wire is a heat blued terminal. Its where the connection has gotten hot from excessive current draw.

The inside connections should be very clean. But if you dismantle the connector plug I bet you will see one that looks kind of black.

The $250 deal sounds like a drop in hanger unit. This is the complete fuel unit including new float and harness wires. $250 is a pretty good price.

Sometimes you can find just the pump. Around $90. But you have to dismantle the fuel bucket etc to replace it.

WOULD RECOMMEND ONLY AC DELCO PUMP AND SENDING UNIT. IN MY OPINION CARTER PUMPS ARE JUNK, HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH THEM IN THE PAST.

Archived