CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How to access Trouble Codes

growe3

While driving down the freeway today in my 2004 DTS, the SES light come on.

. No error messages

. All fluids are at their proper level

. Engine runs and shifts fine

I have the service manuals, but I cannot figure how to access the stored Trouble Codes.

Does anyone know how I can access the trouble codes?

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

. No error messages

I have the service manuals, but I cannot figure how to access the stored Trouble Codes.

-George

Dealership told my father that GM did away with the DIC trouble code retrieval years ago and you had to get a code reader to pull them, not sure what year it started though.

A.J.

....Does anyone know how I can access the trouble codes?

-George

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Jim,

That's what I was looking for. Thank you very much for the fast post.

Do you know where that information is located in the service manual?

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

The following codes were set:

P0174 - Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2

B0429 - Temperature Control #3 Rear Circuit Range/Performance

Now I just need to track down the problems.

-George

DTS_Signature.jpg

The following codes were set:

P0174 - Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2

B0429 - Temperature Control #3 Rear Circuit Range/Performance

Now I just need to track down the problems.

-George

Most of the DTCs (but not all) are detailed in the Service Manual. My DTC retrieval procedure is not in the Service Manual.

P0174 could be pointing at several things, and the 1st one in my mind is a failed fuel injector O ring (leaking air) on cylinders 2, or 4, or 6, or 8. A dealership type diagnostic tool would identify the specific cylinder.

B0429 is as common as dirt and only impacts the rear seat HVAC temperature control.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The manual seems to indicate a vacuum leak as a probable cause, so I will do a good visual over the engine. The engine has not been touched, but I think the engine mount is bad. It may be that the engine rotating to far, could have pinched/cut a line or otherwise damaged something. Next would be to make sure that the intake to throttle body rubber is not leaking.

Regarding scanners, I can now readily scan from the dash, but so far I do not see a way to Override, as in my 93 STS. In my STS I could override and reset the fuel trim. Telling me if it was just a "fluke", and then if it reset, chase down the problem. Buying a scanner would seem to be a waste of money, as I can get that info from the dash readout, and I have the service manuals. That is unless it could be used to reset and/or override the cars parameters.

Does anyone have some experience of what the various scanners can do?

Is there a scanner that can set and or override various parameters?

-George

DTS_Signature.jpg

. No error messages

-George

Dealership told my father that GM did away with the DIC trouble code retrieval years ago and you had to get a code reader to pull them, not sure what year it started though.

I believe this was true on the CTS/SRX (CAN spec) vehicles..... but not on the Northstar OBD2 vehicles, maybe Bruce/Logan can add some light here

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The manual seems to indicate a vacuum leak as a probable cause, so I will do a good visual over the engine. The engine has not been touched, but I think the engine mount is bad. It may be that the engine rotating to far, could have pinched/cut a line or otherwise damaged something. Next would be to make sure that the intake to throttle body rubber is not leaking.

Regarding scanners, I can now readily scan from the dash, but so far I do not see a way to Override, as in my 93 STS. In my STS I could override and reset the fuel trim. Telling me if it was just a "fluke", and then if it reset, chase down the problem. Buying a scanner would seem to be a waste of money, as I can get that info from the dash readout, and I have the service manuals. That is unless it could be used to reset and/or override the cars parameters.

-George

George, check the plenum (rubber coupler between the TB and the manifold) for a vacuum leak. Rather common on 2000+ Northstars.

Overrides went away with OBD2.

-George

George, check the plenum (rubber coupler between the TB and the manifold) for a vacuum leak. Rather common on 2000+ Northstars.

Overrides went away with OBD2.

Hi Ranger,

Still hard to call that short piece of neoprene a plenum, but... you are correct.

Will a scanner be able to reset the system? If so do you or anyone else have a scanner brand/model to recommend?

-George

DTS_Signature.jpg

....Will a scanner be able to reset the system? If so do you or anyone else have a scanner brand/model to recommend?

If you mean clear all the codes when you say 'reset the system', the onboard display toggles will do that.

Just follow the instructions and when you see the ALL CLEAR CODES? message, answer YES.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Update:

I was able to clear the codes. After checking the engine compartment, at this point the only thing I was able to find were two wires with the insulation scrapped off, leaning against the engine block. They were vibrating against a sharp corner.

The wires come out with the starter motor wires, but I do not know what they actually go to. I think they may be part of the charging circuit, but...... Anyone know for sure what they go to?

In any case I pulled them clear of any contact, and no more error codes. I will add some electrical tape, and then place some wire guard around them for protection. Hopefully this cures the problem.

Please see attached photo for wire damage.

-George

post-141-1242092997_thumb.jpg

DTS_Signature.jpg

Still hard to call that short piece of neoprene a plenum

I agree. Can't imagine why they chose that name for it or who would have done it. I suspect some desk jockey who doesn't know the hood from the trunk.

Update:

I was able to clear the codes. After checking the engine compartment, at this point the only thing I was able to find were two wires with the insulation scrapped off, leaning against the engine block. They were vibrating against a sharp corner.

The wires come out with the starter motor wires, but I do not know what they actually go to. I think they may be part of the charging circuit, but...... Anyone know for sure what they go to?

Not the charging circuit.

The damaged GRAY wire is common to both Knock Sensors (located in the intake valley).

The damaged LIGHT BLUE wire is part of the Knock Sensor 2 wiring.

But how that wire damage would set a P0174 is a PFM mystery.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Update:

Not the charging circuit.

The damaged GRAY wire is common to both Knock Sensors (located in the intake valley).

The damaged LIGHT BLUE wire is part of the Knock Sensor 2 wiring.

But how that wire damage would set a P0174 is a PFM mystery.

Doesn't make sense to me either, but it's gone; for now. It may have just sent confusing signals (flashing shorts) and got misinterpreted.

Tomorrow it gets another day of sixty mile commute, that will be the test.

-George

DTS_Signature.jpg

Well, drove the usual commute today and the only code to be set is the B0429 (Auxiliary air temperature actuator error).

It does appear that the gremlin has been tamed. Now to chase down the A/C (minor) issue.

-George

DTS_Signature.jpg

....It does appear that the gremlin has been tamed.
Good catch!

Now to chase down the A/C (minor) issue.
Don't lose a lot of sleep over that one!! :rolleyes:

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived