CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A/C advice

Dan

The other day I noticed there was a large amount of oil on the front of the engine. I thought it was the front main seal that was leaking, but it turns out it was my A/C compressor. I looked at the A/C compressor and found that it was manufactured by Delphi, which was ironic because I had changed out several alternators on recent model Honda Accords and GM trucks and found myself thinking how crappy Delphi alternators were. I also had the A/C compressor replaced on my car about 3 years ago. Not wanting another Delphi, I went aftermarket and got a 4 seasons compressor from Advance auto parts. Does anybody have any tips on how to perform this procedure? I got a new orifce tube, accumulator, compressor, and evaporator. Evacuating the system is not a problem since all of the coolant already leaked out from the A/C compressor. The only problem is that I don't have the equipment to flush or properly refill the system. Any tips?

It sounds like the shaft seal went bad. Easy fix if you have the proper tools and there is no need to remove the compressor from the car. The double lip seal is $15. Is the oil all over the clutch plate or is the case of the compressor soaked in oil? You might want a shop to verify the source of the leak. If the case seal is leaking, you'll need to replace the compressor.

You don't need to flush, replace the orifice tube or the accumulator if all that went bad was the shaft seal.

Four Seasons (I refer to them as Four Siezens...) is not a quality remanufactured compressor. Many times, the clutch air gap is not set properly, among other failures. The Delphi/Delco brand is a much better unit.

Find a reputable A/C shop that has the ability to repair the copmpressor and have them diagnose the problem. You will spend less money in the long run.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The oil was on the front of the compressor, on the clutch plate. I think a seal would probably fix the oil leak problem, but I also lost almost all of the refrigerant too, does the seal also keep the refrigerant from leaking out too? The manual says when the compressor goes bad you have to replace the accumulator and orifice tube because of "comtaminents" that may have got in the system. Would replacing the seal be good enough?

Yes - the shaft seal keeps the refrigerant from leaking past the shaft.

If all that happened to the system was a leaking shaft seal, replacing the accumulator and orifice tube is not necessary. Is your system still R-12?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived