CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Left Front Tire "Shearing."

WarrenJ

As luck would have it, this difficulty will NEVER manifest itself when a qualified mechanic is within range. Strangely, this is intermittent.

You see, occasionally when I cut the wheel hard right, as when entering a parking lot, or when making a three point turn, I get the distinct feeling the left front tire is "shearing." That is to say, it feels like the left front tire is pointing in the wrong direction as I drive forward.

It's the "Intermittent" part that has me baffled. Ideas anyone?

At 71K miles the car is otherwise flawless.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

If we ignore or better yet, eliminate the possibility of worn suspension pieces, that raises the question of worn drive line components such as the complicated arrangement of "U" joints and Constant Velocity "CV" joints that allow front wheel drive + front wheel steering + independent front suspension all at the same time.

The first lessons I learned about operating FWD soon after my employer put me in Lee Iacocaa's K cars back in the '80's were - it takes two acres to turn one around. And avoid cranking the wheel all the way to the stop in either direction when parking.

Since your symptoms are "Intermittent", maybe a slight adjustment in your technique will solve the problem (?).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Since your symptoms are "Intermittent", maybe a slight adjustment in your technique will solve the problem (?).

NOPE! It's very pronounced when/if it happens. The problem is I can't reliably reproduce it for an auto technician.

It's kinda like a fart in the wind; if you're properly located downwind you "get it." Otherwise, not.

It's the "intermittent" part that has me baffled.

Regards,

Warren

EDIT: I will be on vacation the week of 5/3. This will give me a chance to make the 60 mile round trip to my trusted mechanic. He often does miracles. Verily unlike the dipsticks where I live.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Warren,

I would inspect the tie rod end, inner tie rod end, ball joint, etc.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived