CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Thinking of buying a newer STS

Im thinking about trading in my -93 STS and my -88 Eldorado for a newer model.

I guess that I can afford up to a -00 model perhaps (if I get a fair price for them)

I will sure miss them though :(

My question is if there is any weak points on the -98 and after or if I should stick with the old body style (which I like).

The reason for the switch is that I want som more of the gismoz that came later ie GPS, rain sensing wipers etc, the newer interior etc.

Right now I have to drive 530 miles per week (because of my profession as a consultant) and as a good friend of mine always says "It´s good to have all these think so you have something to do when you drive " B)

By the way, is there a significant difference in the gas mileage between a -93 STS and a newer? My girlfriend will perhaps not try to kill me if I tell her that the newer car I´m going to buy won´t use that much gas ;)

Reguards Jan

Well, not so much better mileage. You can use lower octane to get same performance and mileage as old Northstars with high test. That will save you some. Only problems I hear more than normal come from 98 Sevilles. 99-00 should be target, but there is nothing wrong with 96-97. They are the best of the generation and have all the neat stuff, rainsense, newer interior, etc...

Jan:

I went throough the same thought process and ended up buying a 98 STS for 11,200 last august with 98,000 miles on it...I now have 120,000 and have not had 1 problem and everything works......I do need new front struts though but I paid a song for it so no prob......for what it is worth.

Jeff

Jan, if you want better mileage, get the LD8 engine (SLS). I get 30 on a flat road, and at least 20 mpg in town. The 3.11 gear is GREAT.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I agree with Jadcock (once again) on the SLS. I'd make it a 2000 or newer. I have the '99 STS...great car, but the best I can muster is 27.5 MPG highway.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all the responses about my future choice :)

Perhaps a SLS after all, because I really like the feeling I have in my Eldo when I´m cruising at highway speeds at low rpms. From what I´ve been reading it seems like it´s a close race between a STS and a SLS when it comes to 0-60 times.

Is there an easy way to get rid of the top speed limiter in the SLS?

From what I´ve been reading it seems like it´s a close race between a STS and a SLS when it comes to 0-60 times.

Is there an easy way to get rid of the top speed limiter in the SLS?

It is -- don't choose your car based on performance. Choose it based on equipment levels you want and the style of the car. Before 1998, the SLS and STS had much different characters (STS had lots of plastic body work, monochrome grill, where the SLS had chrome brightwork and a hood emblem). After 1998, they got closer together in terms of "flavor". Either one will suit you very well.

The easiest way to get rid of the top speed limiter is to tow it with a Cayenne. :) No method that I know of to override the computer.

It is -- don't choose your car based on performance. Choose it based on equipment levels you want and the style of the car. Before 1998, the SLS and STS had much different characters (STS had lots of plastic body work, monochrome grill, where the SLS had chrome brightwork and a hood emblem). After 1998, they got closer together in terms of "flavor". Either one will suit you very well.

What is the top speed by the way? About 110 ? Is there any differences in equipment between a -97 STS and SLS, ie was some equipment only available on the STS?

Thanks again :)

What is the top speed by the way? About 110 ? Is there any differences in equipment between a -97 STS and SLS, ie was some equipment only available on the STS?

The speed was limited on SLS to 112 mph, due to S-rated tires. 1997 STSes are speed limited to 130 mph or 150 mph, depending on the OE tires. Check the door jamb decal on a prospective car to see. H-rated tires means a 130 mph limiter. Z-rated tires means 150 mph.

I'll list all the changes I can think of for 1997, SLS vs. STS.

SLS: Hood ornament. Chrome brightwork. Subdued lower body/facia treatments. See pictures on my site for a good idea of what a '97 looks like. Interior was standard cloth, although I've never seen one. All I've seen have the leather buckets (included in the WA9 sport package). This package also included the full-length center console, the full analog cluster, and the 4-way power lumbar. This package was standard on STS. SLS included woodgrain on some pieces in the interior, including the front door panels, and across the dashboard. STS added wooden ashtray cover and shifter surround. ICCS with RSS was standard on both models. SLS had 3.11 transaxle (N/A on STS).

STS: No hood ornament. More aggressive plastic bodywork. Monochrome body. Perforated leather seats (N/A on SLS) and rainsense wipers (N/A on SLS) were both standard equipment. Interior modifications as listed above. STS had stiffer shocks (although a car of this age probably won't have the original shocks anyway), and larger diameter stabilizer bars. Quicker steering ratio. STS had 3.71 transaxle (N/A on SLS).

Options available on both models:

- chromed aluminum wheels

- Astroroof

- Bose radio

- CD changer

- heated front seats

If you are looking at models older than the 1998 model year, I would suggest at least a 1996 model, preferrably a 1997. The '96 models had a revised interior and DEX-COOL in the cooling system. The '97 models had aluminum steering knuckles and larger front brakes. The '97 models also have some more chassis gussetting and supports over the 1996 cars.

Good luck in your search! In essence, even pre-1998, the differences were so subtle that only people like us know the difference. I get "hey, nice STS" all the time. :)

Archived