CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Too much R-134...???

I threw in an 8 oz. Oil Charge, and a regular can of freon...the guages read about 65-70 psi, boderering on the red. I don't know what got into me :blink: , but I added another can of freon with 2 oz. of oil in the same can. I think I have enough oil now... I am bearing my soul here guys...anyway just slightly into the red 68-69 psi...but the cooling seems a little worse. It's the '92, which had a new compressor installed 3 years ago, developed a leak, and was never used for 2 years. I finally got it going last summer... it was a over the counter rebuilt from Autozone, R12 version. My mechanic talked me out of converting to an R-134 unit, the oil I am using says it is compatable with R-12 oil of remnants of R-12. Should I just attach the hose, and turn the screw to vent it out a little, or just leave it alone... :rolleyes: Thanks!!!!

Are those readings with the engine idling and the A/C running or are they static pressures?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If I am not mistaken 44 is the high end of the range. However, adding 10 oz of oil maybe be the problem. Hopefully someone will chime in here as this interests me also. How did you evacuate the system. Mike

If it was cold before and now it will not get cold you probably put too much oil in it.

A new pump should come with all the oil you need, if you rebuilt you pump then you should only put oil in the suction side of the pump and remove as much oil from the system as possible.

According to Helms:

The system requires 8 oz. total

If you change the following only add:

the compressor 2 oz.

Accumlator 1 oz.

Evaporater 3 oz.

Condenser 1 oz

Hope this helps, the systems I've worked on I have always tried to blow out as much oil as possible the vaccumm it down add 2 oz. of oil then the rest 134.

Julio

Idleing with the A/C turned on...

I had to ask because your statement that "The gages read 70 psi" led me to believe that both the high and low side gages read 70 which is the static reading.

It sounds like there is way too much oil in the system and it is overcharged. Bbobynski outlined what you need to do to get the system working properly.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived