CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Help! Starting problems.

Hello. I own a 1994 SLS and recently I've been having problems when it comes to starting my car. This is exactly what happens, when I turn the ignition to start the car, the car doesn't do anything at all. It just acts as if the ignition key was just on the on position. The only way to start it is to just hold the key there for several seconds until it starts. No sounds seem evident, you just hold the key there and all of a sudden it just starts. If you turn the car off and turn it back on, the car starts without a problem. But if I leave the car off for about 8 hrs or so, the problem then occurs. I had this problem about 3 months ago and didn't do anything about it. The problem persisted and then my battery started to go dead everytime I had the car off for more then 5 hrs or so. I then replaced the battery and didn't have any problems until now. Does anyone have any idea of what it might be?

Caddyjag

your problems sound electrical. something obviously kept draining your old battery and now takes care of new one. did you try to check the battery before starting the car? just turn the lights for a few minutes, measure the voltage etc. some cable/terminal issues are possible for 1994 car as well

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I don't think there is something draining the battery because even if the car doesnt' start, the lights are working and the radio can also work at full blast volume.

Caddyjag

well it's really hard to say... did you try to get codes? push warm and off simultaneously and watch the DIC. perhaps, some codes were stored

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived