CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Water Pump Lesson Learned the hard way

Ed Hall

My brother in law has a 2002 Seville and had to have it towed to the mechanics several days ago because it started leaking water like crazy. About 3 months ago, he replaced the water pump with a lifetime guarantee variety from a well known local parts store. My recommendation was to replace with an AC Delco but he needed to get the job done right away and could not wait to have it sent to him. Anyways, the mechanics ended up having to replace that 3 month old water pump because the seal was out on it. They also found a bad wheel bearing and replaced the hub as well. Anyways, the total charge was $1000 for diagnostics, water pump replacement and 1 hub replacement. He also had to pay $55 to have it towed to the mechanics. Anyways, I thought I would post this because it’s a good lesson learned to not use lesser quality parts especially when it comes to something that is vital and could leave you stranded on the road. The AC Delco water pump is almost twice as expensive as aftermarket but there is a reason for that.

IPB Image

the reason ac/delco parts are twice as expensive is to pay for the upper managements performance bonuses. oops, i must have gm confused with AIG.

Archived