CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

oil leaks

yoeman

I parked my 97 sts for 3 weeks and found a puddle of oil on the floor under the engine when I backed out of the garage Could a case leak be the problem or would it not leak onto the floor at such a high rate.What other things can I look at?

Don't overlook the common-sense items, like tightness of oil pan bolts, tightness/seal on the oil drain plug, tightness/seal on the oil filter, etc. I had a wet/dripping oil pan for about a year before I tried adding a soft rubber washer to the oil drain plug during an oil change one time. It just turns out that the small rubber ring on the OE plug had shrunk enough or something that it didn't quite seal 100%. The washer has stopped the "leak", and my case is 100% dry now.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Don't overlook the common-sense items, like tightness of oil pan bolts, tightness/seal on the oil drain plug, tightness/seal on the oil filter, etc. I had a wet/dripping oil pan for about a year before I tried adding a soft rubber washer to the oil drain plug during an oil change one time. It just turns out that the small rubber ring on the OE plug had shrunk enough or something that it didn't quite seal 100%. The washer has stopped the "leak", and my case is 100% dry now.

The oil is found more on the left side and seems to drip down onto the exhaust and pool in the bracket that covers the pipe. All other areas seem to be dry so I would guess it could be the front seal or oil pan That does not look like a fun job

The oil is found more on the left side and seems to drip down onto the exhaust and pool in the bracket that covers the pipe. All other areas seem to be dry so I would guess it could be the front seal or oil pan That does not look like a fun job

Don't overlook a cam cover gasket as a possible source. Also, are you absolutely sure it's oil? I understand a power steering pump/line can leak into the engine valley, and run out of one of the ends of the block and appear as an oil leak.

Either way, I wouldn't make any conclusions until you get some dye in the oil and have it checked out under a black light. That will tell you FOR SURE the source of the leak.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

if it is the mid-seal.. and if the mechanic atcual diagnosed my car correctly..

( i was in for an oil change and he spotted it )

The labor time is 21 hours or so.. and the part costs about $7.00, not a typo.

for a total of $2800 ay the dealership mind you. I've heard of people dropping the trans in a few hours though.. and if / when i get mine done, might as well have the trans rebuilt (new shift solinoids and crankshaft)]

I dont have any puddles or anything.. just a slow leak that runs back onto the exhaust when i drive.. but like jadcock said.. could be something else too

gl

The labor time is 21 hours or so.. and the part costs about $7.00, not a typo.

for a total of $2800 ay the dealership mind you. I've heard of people dropping the trans in a few hours though.. and if / when i get mine done, might as well have the trans rebuilt (new shift solinoids and crankshaft)]

There are a whole lot more parts that need to be replaced if you are doing a case half seal. $7.00 in parts doesn't cut it.

Ian

Don't overlook the common-sense items, like tightness of oil pan bolts, tightness/seal on the oil drain plug, tightness/seal on the oil filter, etc.  I had a wet/dripping oil pan for about a year before I tried adding a soft rubber washer to the oil drain plug during an oil change one time.  It just turns out that the small rubber ring on the OE plug had shrunk enough or something that it didn't quite seal 100%.  The washer has stopped the "leak", and my case is 100% dry now.

Identify the leak source 100% before you take any action.

The difference between 'drips' and 'puddles' is measured in dollars. Many dollars.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I have been under ther car and cant see any oil around the oil filter area but do see alot on the left side. good news if you think its not a case or oil pan leak. all bolts are tight so I will take it in to have it looked at or cleaned so I can get a better idea.

There are a whole lot more parts that need to be replaced if you are doing a case half seal. $7.00 in parts doesn't cut it.

Ian

I understand you're a GM Technician Ian, that price is what the local Technician quoted me, i think thats for the seal itslef or perhaps he was suggesting i get that fixed somewhere else for cheap.

The 'mid-seal leak' isn't anything serious, as Guru stated.

I monitor my oil regulatly and havnt noticed any signifigant chages or puddles.. just the "dirty" pan.

Ian, what exactly would need replaced? I'm about to enroll in the GM certification this month, so im a little curious. (as others may be)

Eddie

I also do get oil leak on my 94 STS, and I clean up the ground occasionally. The last time I took it to the dealership they diagnosed the problem and identified case halves as the culprit. They told me it takes 24 hours of labour to fix it, which corrospondes to $2400 Can. I just leave the car as it is because the repaire is totally not worth it. The oil leak is very small though, like 10 ml everyday. The funny thing is that, the day I took it to the dealership, the oil drop was much larger.It really ruined the dealership floor that day.

LOL...

The funny thing is that, the day I took it to the dealership, the oil drop was much larger.It really ruined the dealership floor that day.

I would take that car to the deal every day :lol:

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived