CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I'm pulling a "helpless female" card here! :lol:

My Cadillac Seville STS, 1994, Northstar engine was bought at an auction- so any info about the car is missing. We noticed that it was overheating and replaced thermostat(it didn't have one when we got it) It was still overheating and we ran out of coolant- and the car apparently froze.

It ATTEMPTED to start several times and drained the battery(which was old to begin with). We replaced the battery, and tried to start it. It will not turn over, backfires, and smells like carbon. It keeps TRYING to turn over but just can't seem to.

Any assistance/ advice would be handy

Did it overheat immediately upon installing it?

Go to the top of this page, click HOW TO, go to DTC CODES click, and read how to check your codes, check them and report them here

Explain it will NOT turn over? Do you mean the engine does not start?

Am I reading that you put STRAIGHT WATER in and the water FROZE?

This problem you are having started after the engine froze? (not starting, backfiring, etc)

NEVER EVER USE STRAIGHT WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You might have cracked the block, we have seen cracked blocks before. Check your codes

Also, you should go to NAPA and buy the combustion by products tester and check your coolant for combustion by products that would indicate a bad head gasket. Was this engine warranteed?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

You bought this car from an auction, it was overheating and it had no thermostat in it? This has head gasket written all over it. Follow BBF's advice and have the coolant tested. Prepare yourself for a large repair bill.

You bought this car from an auction, it was overheating and it had no thermostat in it? This has head gasket written all over it. Follow BBF's advice and have the coolant tested. Prepare yourself for a large repair bill.

OH, I read that the ENGINE was bought at an auction, it seems the CAR was bought at an auction, the wording was ambiguous

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Hmm, now that you mention it, you could be right Mike. We'll just have to wait till she gives us some clarification. In any case though, I'd be highly suspicious of an overheating engine that has had the thermostat removed.

Hmm, now that you mention it, you could be right Mike. We'll just have to wait till she gives us some clarification. In any case though, I'd be highly suspicious of an overheating engine that has had the thermostat removed.

It was overheating when we got it. We put in the thermostat- and it was STILL overheating. We used straight water a few times because- let's face it- we're broke and ran out of antifreeze. We checked the radiator cap- it was cracked - so we replaced IT too.

It tried to crank- but didn't quite turn over .

Now it tries to turn over and backfires.

We're not getting ANY codes on it- at ALL.

No warranties anywhere- unfortunately.

:o

OK last code(Current) were P037Shorted MAT Sensor Signal

ANy idea what this is- where to find it and how much to replace?

It was overheating when we got it. We put in the thermostat- and it was STILL overheating. We used straight water a few times because- let's face it- we're broke and ran out of antifreeze. We checked the radiator cap- it was cracked - so we replaced IT too.

It tried to crank- but didn't quite turn over .

Now it tries to turn over and backfires.

We're not getting ANY codes on it- at ALL.

No warranties anywhere- unfortunately.

:o

TO EDIT TO DATE:

DTC codes as follows

CUrrent

P037

I039

History

P041

P052

Someone says it sounds like cam sensor(Auto parts personnel) but he's no caddy mechanic(His words) so he advised me to seek help from caddy owners and dealers (He looked up the codes that he could find and told me that if I could get the info- he'd help me price parts and suggest an area mechanic- IF we could get the car there)

I'm pulling a "helpless female" card here! :lol:

My Cadillac Seville STS, 1994, Northstar engine was bought at an auction- so any info about the car is missing. We noticed that it was overheating and replaced thermostat(it didn't have one when we got it) It was still overheating and we ran out of coolant- and the car apparently froze.

It ATTEMPTED to start several times and drained the battery(which was old to begin with). We replaced the battery, and tried to start it. It will not turn over, backfires, and smells like carbon. It keeps TRYING to turn over but just can't seem to.

Any assistance/ advice would be handy

P037 (E037) Shorted MAT Sensor Signal

I039 Loss of Road Sensing Suspension Data

I have a '94 Factory Service Manual and will check it for your codes and report back.

If the problem is cam related you would likely see one of the following codes:

P041 (E041) No Cam Reference Signal from Ignition Control Module

P081 (E081) CAM to 4X reference correlation problem

The Intake Air Temperature Sensor (IAT) is a thermistor, or variable resistor, that varies resistance based on temperature. As the temperature of the sensor increases, resistance decreases. High temperature will result in low signal voltage. Code P037 sets when the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), which is the main computer, sees an IAT sensor reading of 147 degrees Celsius when the coolant is less than 100 degrees Celsius. In order to test the IAT Sensor, codes P014 and P015 must not be set and coolant temperature must be 100 degrees Celsius or less.

In other words, the P037 code must of set because the engine temp is getting hot, which is related to overheating. You need to fix the overheating problem since the P037 code should not prevent the car from starting, it is something you can leave aside until the overheating problem is eliminated.

We checked the radiator cap- it was cracked

Hmm, how bad? If it was cracked to the point that it would not hold pressure, then that could be the cause of your overheating. Just maybe, you got lucky.

As far as backfiring, it could even be something like bad plugs, particularly if the car has sat a long time, or a fuel pressure regulator which will cause backfiring. When a FPR goes bad the car will be harder to start and it could backfire through the intake manifold. I would take the cover off and inspect for a leaking fuel rail or a defective FPR. I would also pull at least the front plugs to check them over.

Archived