CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cleaning power window switches

KHE

I replaced the master window switch on my '96 Seville a year or so ago and the old switch has been sitting on my bench. Is there a way to take it apart without destroying it? I'm sure the contacts are just dirty and would like to try to clean it. My '97 is starting to act up on an intermittent basis and before I spend $75 on a new switch, I'd like to see if I can repair the old one first.

I've used machinists scales to defeat the tabs that hold the cover on but the cover may be heat staked from the top side. If that's the case, there may not be a way to clean it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If I couldn't see any way to get the case open, this would be my approach and certainly won't do any damage.

Immerse the entire assembly in warm soapy water and vigorously actuate the switch (many times) at the same time agitating the assembly back and forth.

Immerse in rinse water and repeat.

It might be convenient to drill a small (very small) drain hole in the assembly.

Allow to dry overnight.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I've cleaned several GM master switches and have never found one to be heat staked at the top. The most recent one was an 03 Buick. The cover had to be pried off with a small screw-driver as it seemed to be glued on. I worked one side at a time (spread cover beyond white tabs, pry cover down so tabs aren't caught in the slots). On to the other sides. Tricky, but with cussing and determination, it came apart...

Once inside I cleaned the contacts shiny with 1500 grit color sanding paper. I then coated the contacts with CAIG Deoxit Power Booster...100% solution (Partsexpress).

rek

I've cleaned several GM master switches and have never found one to be heat staked at the top. The most recent one was an 03 Buick. The cover had to be pried off with a small screw-driver as it seemed to be glued on. I worked one side at a time (spread cover beyond white tabs, pry cover down so tabs aren't caught in the slots). On to the other sides. Tricky, but with cussing and determination, it came apart...

Once inside I cleaned the contacts shiny with 1500 grit color sanding paper. I then coated the contacts with CAIG Deoxit Power Booster...100% solution (Partsexpress).

That is the method that I have been attempting - I have the tabs defeated with machinist scales but it still will not budge. I'll try it again - if I ruin it, it was junk anyway...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I tried to take mine apart to clean but couldn't, seems like it would be ruined if I proceeded any further. I tried contact cleaner and compressed air but it didn't do much.

Let us know if you find a way, I really didn't want to buy new ones and used ones on ebay are probably as bad as mine.

Cleaning power window switches

On another vehicle I've had good luck spray tuner cleaner, typically found at Radio Shack, down into the innards of the switch. This was done without removing the switch. So far so good.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=11...69&t=136769

Are the "Rockers" holding up the show?

They were...

The only problem is the Cadillac switches are slightly different than those in the link and when the rockers are removed, the latch feature breaks. Not that big of a deal - they will stay put with only one latch.

Once the rockers were off, I was able to disassemble the components of the switch - the contacts were dirty/black. I sprayed CRC contact cleaner on them and cleaned them as best as I could. I reassembled the switch and tested it. It still did not work.

I didn't have anything to lose - the switch was sitting on my bench for a long time as I purchased a replacement 6 months ago. The next time I order parts from Brasingtons, I'll break down and order a new switch assembly to keep on hand as a spare.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived