CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 Deville Intake Manifold and Starter

I have a 96 Deville, car has run flawlessly for several years (150k miles). Within the past few months I started noticing an electrical smell, when running but could never find it. Car kept running perfectly, then one day the smell got real strong when I got home. I went back out to start an hour later only to find out it wouldnt start (kept backfiring through the carb or intake and motor wouldnt cath). So, I traced the issue to the positive that runs to the starter, apparenetly the daggon plastic shething around the wire wasnt quite enough, grounded out on the block, causing the sheathing to melt off but more importantly ith melted part of the daggon intake manifold! So here's my question, has anyone ever run into this, if the intake is fowled can it cause the car to not start? AFter the intake is off, how much of a pain in the arse is it to get the starter out? Thanks in advance

The starter sits in the valley, under the intake. Once the intake is off it is a piece of cake. I suspect the starter was going bad and overheated the cable, melting the insulation. Must have gotten awfully hot very fast.

The starter sits in the valley, under the intake. Once the intake is off it is a piece of cake. I suspect the starter was going bad and overheated the cable, melting the insulation. Must have gotten awfully hot very fast.

Remove the intake to gain access to the starter -it is only a 20 minute job and there is no coolant to mess with.

Take the starter to a local starter rebuilder and have them repair the starter. Then replace the cabe fron th estarter to the battery.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived