CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Ongoing CC problem

Dave in Texas

I've been chasing a Cruise Control problem for a long time. The control system switch check always passes, yet occasionally the CC still has the same old problem: On/Off the accelartor. 80% of the time the system works perfectly. It used to be more often, but cleaning all the connections helped a lot. Then I suspected a vacuum-hose problem, so when I put in the new engine I replaced every vacuum line there is. During the last 800mi trip, the problem started again! sob*!* The problem does not seem to happen in Cold weather. Normally I just keep my foot on the accelarator so the pedal won't move back. I noticed something during the last episode. When getting up to speed from a Stop, the speedometer needle jumped from around 40 to the actual speed we were going and after seeing that, the CC started its ON/off dance. I also noticed while going down a steep hill at speed, the cruise did not let- off in controlling the set MPH. The car was picking up speed going downhill, but the cruise never let-off. I've not experience that behaviour before. With that jumping speedometer-needle and then the CC faulty behaviour, I'm now wondering if I've had a VSS problem all along?

Always passes switch tests/electrical connections clean&tight/vacuum lines new/happens in Hot weather. A VSS costs $100+ and I don't mind spending that if it will fix the problem, but if it does not........I'llbesad.

Thoughts/advice/ideas? Thanks

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

Dave,

Does your car have the electronic speedometer or does it have an actual speedometer CABLE?

If it is electronic...it may just be the VSS sensor that is bad.

That would also explain the speedometer jumping around from one speed to the other and the CC not working properly when going downhill.

There is also a chance that your head unit is going bad but not likely.

Posted Image

Dave,

Does your car have the electronic speedometer or does it have an actual speedometer CABLE?

If it is electronic...it may just be the VSS sensor that is bad.

That would also explain the speedometer jumping around from one speed to the other and the CC not working properly when going downhill.

There is also a chance that your head unit is going bad but not likely.

Standard swing needle type speedometer, electrically controlled through the VSS. I swore off crawling under her anymore, but I suppose that was foolish of me. Yesterday I pulled both electrical connectors off the solonoid. One of them had some sort of 'gook' on it. Might have been a sealer of some type. I'd cleaned the wire terminals previously, but the 'gook' had recoated the mated pair again. I disengaged the wiing terminals from the connector and bathed both the terminals and the connector in thinner. The gook was asphalt-based and the thinner cut it. The connector and terminals are now squeaky clean. If that didn't correct the problem, I'll replace the VSS next....darn things are expensive.

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

Archived