CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Spencer Wells Builds a Family Tree

A very interesting talk about DNA.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Thanks for posting I found this interesting.

I find DNA genealogy fascinating.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I was just browsing the Internet the other day looking to possibly send my DNA to a lab in order to determine in detail my ancestral heritage. It's not cheap--about $200-$300.

I was just browsing the Internet the other day looking to possibly send my DNA to a lab in order to determine in detail my ancestral heritage. It's not cheap--about $200-$300.

If you decide to take the test, you should go with the company that has the largest data base. That would be Family Tree DNA. There are several ways to do this and if you research a bit you might even find a discount. First, go to FTDNA and search your family surname. If you find it, see if there is a surname project that you join. Many times, by joining a surname project, you will receive a nice discount on the price of the DNA scan. Secondly, if you decide to just get tested for the sake of having your genetic information at your finger tips, try to get the best test you can afford. The more information you have the better off you'll be in the long run.

If you get the mtDNA test, which tests the mitochondrial DNA that your mother passed to you, then go for the mega test. The will scan all 16,569 base pairs and it will be the last mtDNA test you'll ever need done. You'll then be able to compare your data with numerous databases around the world as well as adding your sequence to the National Institute of health database for use by scientists around the world.

If you get the Y-DNA test, you will be testing the DNA passed to you by your father. Again, go for the full scan so you'll have the most information available to you. http://www.familytreedna.com/

mtDNA is $495 and Y-DNA-67 is $349. As I said, there are sometimes discounts available if you join a surname project. For an extra $15, they will transmit your information to the National Geographic Genographic Project.

A word about mitochondrial DNA: It's passed to you by your mother. As a man, you cannot pass it to your children, however, the mother of your children will pass on her mtDNA. Sons and daughters both receive mtDNA but only daughters can pass it on. It is the gift of life. It's a circular DNA, 16,569 base pairs long. A simple explanation of what mtDNA does in your body is simply that it's a "power cell", a battery that powers every cell in your body. If you get the mtDNA full scan it is quite possible that you will find "markers" that indicate health problems. Any diseases that are associated with energy production or use can usually be traced back to mutations in the mtDNA. Some diseases have been confirmed such as diabetes and cardiomyopathy as well as certain diseases of the optic nerve, as diseases passed to you through the mtDNA. Some people freely share their mtDNA information, others are careful not to do so for fear that insurance companies or government agencies could get hold of the information and use it against you although President Bush had signed a law making it specifically illegal to do so. It's a personal choice if you share it. I decided to share it and my full sequence can be found in the NIH database.

I find it exciting just reading up on all the new research that discovered almost daily in regards to DNA and the history of humanity. I'm just frustrated because I think there's just not enough digging going on, not enough ancient DNA being tested.

http://www.familytreedna.com/

Hi Marika,

Thank you for all the information. I will definitely search my surname to see if there is an ongoing project. I will also go through the website you suggested although their prices are the highest that I've seen.

Hi Marika,

Thank you for all the information. I will definitely search my surname to see if there is an ongoing project. I will also go through the website you suggested although their prices are the highest that I've seen.

Their prices are high because they give you the most bang for the buck AND they give you standardized results that can be compared with results found in government and scientific data bases as well as scientific papers and journals. Other companies, such as Oxford, give you results in a proprietary format that only they can read and you can't use.

http://www.isogg.org/famousdna.htm Some famous and ancient DNA results can be found here.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.phylotree.org

The phylogenetic tree of global human mitochondrial DNA variation has just been updated to Build 3, as of March 1, 2009. They added my mtDNA data to the tree. What these scientists do is glean all full mtDNA data from the National Institute of Health and they've built a tree based on this data.

I'm accession number FJ008043 in case you get the urge to search for me in the tree branches... :lol:

If you were to print out this tree, which currently contains 5,712 sequences, it would be approximately 5 feet wide by 38 feet long.

The file is contained inside a ZIP file and after you unzip it, it's an HTM file which will open with a browser but if it doesn't open, just right mouse click on it and choose open with, and then choose your browser. It takes a LONG time to load so be patient and the text will be VERY small so be ready to do a lot of panning around on the screen.

Archived