CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Window motor ?

Carvone

On my 2000 Eldorado, the drivers window is intermittently cutting out when going up or down. On previous cars I have owned it meant the window motor was on it's last leg, getting hot too fast and the activating the thermal cutout. but on other cars the regulator is built into the motor and of course on the caddy it's not, so I just wanted to make sure from others who have had this experience that it is indeed the window motor that is going bad?

Also, ALLDATA doesn't go into too much detail for this, any tips for R/R would be welcomed.

Thanks

My driver side window did the start/stop thing. It was a bad window switch.

Last Summer, I worked on a Buick window problem. The owner provided a new motor/regulator. It wasn't the motor/regulator....It was the window switch.

I took apart the old switch (2003), to find many "traces" bridged together with some green funk. Cleaning it restored function.

rek

My driver side window did the start/stop thing. It was a bad window switch.

Last Summer, I worked on a Buick window problem. The owner provided a new motor/regulator. It wasn't the motor/regulator....It was the window switch.

I took apart the old switch (2003), to find many "traces" bridged together with some green funk. Cleaning it restored function.

I was thinking of looking into the switch first (really)...I already had to replace the Mirror 4way switch and the memory buttons seem to be acting weird and not doing what they should.

The previous owner was definately a smoker and I think he drove around with the driver window cracked all the time, and we all know where the water drips when it's raining. Think I will take all the switches apart and clean first, always start with the easy/cheap things first.

To remove the switch plate:

Use a 1/2" wide flat blade tool to pry up on the REAR edge of the switch plate.

Insert the blade 3/4" into the door trim to engage the retention clip. Press firmly toward the switch plate to disengage the retention clip.

Pull the flat blade tool upward while depressing the retention clip to pull the switch plate from the trim panel.

Disconnect the plugs and have at it...

rek

Archived