CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Speed sensor

95SLS

Ok, here I am again the one with the A1 shape 1995 SLS with the only code .... an intermittent, PO56 (Trans Speed sensor.) You know that $20 part that is $2000 deep?

It's been like almost a year I have had this problem and it keeps fixing itself.

Trans shifts fine and smooth all but when ESS light is on. Soon as I speed up it goes off and works fine, Plus only happens when it is hot. Weather and engine.

I do get the wrong values for the sensor, Bobynsky said repair long ago. But I was waiting for it to really go wrong! I have noticed mileage went down since this thing gone haywire. By like 3 to 5 mpg.

Towing a boat yesterday wha la! It's back!

Ideal conditions to go ahead and tear into it this time.

My garage is done, weather is nice, all that.

Now, in the old archives, in the how to section someone took considerable time to explain exactly how to do this job. I mean he did a terrific job.

Redaing his instructions with pictures is like pinning on a badge of bravery.

So here I go, off into the wild blue yonder soon to go where only the brave at heart dare to tackle. All I can say is if I totally dick it up, I'll still be able to trade the core for a new trans cheaper than the shops want for a repair.

LOL The only part hat scares me is losing my balls. And getting them back where they belong. I've done a T350 and 400's but something uneasy about the side winders.

Wish me luck. Full report soon, Right now I am gathering parts and sanitizing the floor. Maybe tackle this like next week. Or so.

Dadadadooom!

MC

:lol: BE BRAVE MC!!

We ALL Wish You Luck!

More Importantly, We ALL Wish You GOOD LUCK!

Since you have experience with other transmissions, you will do fine!

Keep us posted and don't loose heart!

Put your fear aside, and go for it. You have nothing to fear but fear itself!

Think about next time you are pulling that boat and and the transmission is shifting like a champ, it will all have been worth it!

God Speed!

Go For It!

Irontically, I am waiting for Caddilac to fix my AC before I can repair the trans. You see, I trusted my car to a Caddilac body shop, who, decided to replace the condenser unit when I hit a deer. That required going to a Caddilac shop, ALWAYS A bad thing! (At least my experioence) They replaced the part and forgot to tighten things down, and the part was cracked, so, it does not work, Oh yea, they will replace it they said free, but that so far has taken a month to get the new part in, and I have to wait until they repair it because I don't know how long I will have it down doing this repair. Always happens when I am ready to go on vacation. Also, the put in a defective Grille Imagine THAT a defective Grille?

Man am I pissed! I should have done the Deer repair myself and justy took it in for the paint work. I hate dealing with a Caddilac dealer service dept. I love Caddy's but can never buy a new one because then you have to deal with the service dept.

MC

Yes, good luck with the trans repair, and witht he dealings with you friendly Caddy dealer. I have the same P056 code come up all the time, especially when I throttle her her up from a stop sign. It usually goes out within 3-4 minutes of normal driving. I am very curious how much work this really is to do, I may just dive in there myself. :rolleyes:

As for your dealership delima... Do you have other GM dealers in the local area? It may be worth shopping around, ask others where they take there cars and how satisfied they are. Other reputable Chevy, Pontiac, Buick service centers are probably good sources too. I personally get all my parts from a Pontiac GMC dealer because they have fantastic parts and service guys, and give me breaks on price all the time. Haven't had to take the Caddy in for anything major (knock on wood), but if I did I would probably go there. Hope you get it staightened out soon! :)

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Archived