CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

WATER PUMP

JACK

HAVE A BAD WATER PUMP IN 99 STS WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANY SPECIAL TOOL REQUIRED FOR CHANGING. IF SO IS IT AVAILABLE FROM SNAP ON OR MAC ???

Yes you need a special tool and it is available from Snap-on but it will cost about $80.00. Get it from Ebay for about $25.00. Turn water pump clockwise to get off and counter-clockwise to put on. About 1-2 hour job first time.

As Paul said, yes. The ones you get for $15-$25 appear to be stamped metal (thin and cheap). I have heard others say that they tend to slip. The good (thicker walled) ones from Snap-on are $75-$80. Someone even said you can rent them from Autozone.

Here is a picture of one I made so you know what you are looking for.

http://geocities.com/grandolfo/

For a moment I thought he was going to say that he added fuel injector cleaner to his tank and his water pump went bad...LOL!!

;):lol:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Pump is leaking in my Dads 96 STS, just started after we got the moonroof fixed finally in the driveway. We look down when we are starting to wash the car to go to a car show and Dexcool is everywhere from starting it up to charge the battery to work on the roof. :angry:

No, Autozone does not have the tool. Tried a few locally. Most did not even know you need a tool. Burns me up sometimes.

Lisle tools makes a cheaper stamped (tends to slip) tool. Snap on makes a better one. Autozone should be able to order the Lisle tool. They offered to order it for me (next day delivery) but I found an indepedent auto parts dealer that had it in stock. The stamped steel socket deformed slightly where the wrench attaches but did the job. I however have a 98. If the car was older or had a corroded pump I think the Lisle socket would have given out. As it is I heated up the block housing to make it a little easier to remove. An impact wrench should buzz it off whether you use the cheap or the better quality tool.

I dont need this tool for a 92' deville with the 4.9 do I?? Only the Northstars right?

The 4.9 has two torx headed bolts. I forget the size. The rest are standard metric. Plan a couple hours. Medium difficulty type job.

Jack:

Bruce used to have a Northstar water pump tool available for lease/rent. Maybe he is off playing this weekend and has not yet seen this discussion??

If you can delay the job until Bruce responds, it might be to your advantage.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived