CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

00 DeVille cranks, but won't start. HELP!?

alyssacagle

P0101 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Performance

The MAF sensor is a grid of tiny wires in the throttle body. Check the connector (unlikely; that would throw another code). If that is on tight, pop off the large hose between the throttle body and the air cleaner and look inside with a flashlight. Look for broken wires, dust bunnies blocking part of the opening, or anything else that might be amiss.

The MAF is very delicate. If you break one wire, it is toast. Be very careful, and if you're not comfortable cleaning it, then let the dealer fix it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

It sounds like the MAF sensor (airflow) reading is inaccurate for some reason, possibly because of air leaks ahead of the sensor, an internal failure (suggested above), or contamination of the sensing element (leaf, piece of paper, oil, etc.), and the PCM has not yet recognised that this reading should not be trusted and is still performing fueling calculations using this value. You might try forcing the PCM to ignore the MAF input by simply unplugging the electrical connection; this will force the PCM to command fueling based on speed density calculations (and probably trigger some other DTCs in the process).

Thank you for your replies, I know that the code is the MAF sensor, but didn't know it may just need cleaning. Would that cause the car to not start though? I'm definitely going to try that today and lets hope you don't hear back from me! :) Otherwise, I'll be back...

I'm not sure that the MAF code would cause a no-start situation either, because the car runs in an open-loop mode like an old analog FI until the oxygen sensors heat up. But, if that's the only OBD code you have, that's all we have to go on.

The only cold engine no-start conditions that I know of that won't throw codes are bad gas, water in the gas, and fuel pump problems.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived