CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Oil Consumption

bigfoo

I know this topic has been discussed a million times and there's so many different ideas of what to do about it I thought i'd post another thread to get a simple answer :)

After I change the oil about 2000-2500 miles of driving it says check oil level on the DIC so i put in another quart.. Just getting sick of doing this over and over .. While I know it's not a big deal , if there's anything I can do to stop having to put in a quart of oil all the time...well you know :) What's the EASIEST and BEST way to do this.. the car is out of warranty (1999 STS)

Or should I just keep doing what i'm doing and don't worry about it :>

Thanks

I don't worry about it with mine. And I can ignore the message until I see it at a hot restart on level ground.

It might help some to take a good look at any sources of external drips. I have changed the oil filter adapter O rings and plan to do the same to the crankshaft position sensor O rings the next time I can get on a lift.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

It sounds like your car uses about a quart every 1000 miles, which is considered normal by Cadillac. Many other high performance, high revving engines, tend to use oil as well, to keep everything lubricated. It's not something "wrong", just something that you need to address every 1000 miles or so. With mine, it tends to use more oil the harder I drive it (which makes sense). I've driven mine about 3000 miles since the last change, 2200 of which was 100% interstate. I've added a quart since the change, to "top it off" to the middle of the dipstick.

Take Jim's advice and make sure there are no external oil leaks. I was sure mine was starting to leak from the oil pan gasket, until I put a soft rubber washer on the oil plug during one oil change and the problem disappeared. No oil leaks since. Check your oil pan for wetness and see if you can pinpoint where some oil might be escaping from. Sure, it's not a quart every 1000 miles leaking out of the engine, but every little bit helps.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

This topic is worth a second or third or etc. look. jadcock has a good idea check your drain plug I noticed the surface is very poor on mine and I got a new plug from the dealer and my oil consumption dropped. My last usage was 1@ 1/2qts for 4800 mi. Also you might want to check the oil filter maybe the oil on the gasket is not enough. As a shot I would check my pan bolts make sure they are the right torque, my 83 camero had loose pan bolts. If your using mobil1 I understand It will leak more than normal. Changing oil brands and weights is also an option take care in this, try and stay within the factory guidelines. As I understand and I may be wrong most lnternal oil use is at the top of the piston due to high temps some oil resist this better than others. Mike

>"Or should I just keep doing what i'm doing and don't worry about it <":>

Thanks

That's the ticket! Providing there's no leaks, nothing is wrong except perhaps the inconvenience of popping the hood...What's the big deal in that? Hey, it's world class motor, and sometimes they require a little extra attention.

The hood stays closed on mine until the add oil prompt comes on. I open the hood, put two quarts in and go right back to driving....I don't even look at the dipstick, unless I really suspect something is amiss, which is not after 92,000 miles of 'high spirited' driving. ;)

PS The add oil message comes on once between the computer generated "change oil" message, so on average that's about two quarts of dino oil every 6,000 miles.

No complaints here.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

When I wash mine, I open the hood to dry around the edges and dust the engine room. I usually check the oil at this time and add a quart if it needs it. Once in a while I forget to check the oil for a while and the DIC tells me to "check oil level". I keep a couple of quarts of oil in the spare tire compartment for these occasions. No big deal as far as I'm concerned.

The real problem is not the car but the lack of full service gas stations. When they used to check the water and oil every time you got gas, this was never an issue!

Come to think of it, I miss the free drinking glasses and Green Stamps, too!

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I drive hard.. I do WOT's almost everywhere I go.. Maybe that's why it consumes so much oil i don't know :) But that's how i drive :)

I drive hard.. I do WOT's almost everywhere I go.. Maybe that's why it consumes so much oil i don't know :) But that's how i drive :)

foo..The harder you drive that motor the more it likes it! Don't let up, the consumption issue may decrease over time. Mine did.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

OH yes.. pretending that i'm decarbonizng the engine.... one of these days im gonna get pulled over doing a WOT and he's gonna ask me what I was doing and of course i'll innocently say "decarbonizing my engine.."

OH yes.. pretending that i'm decarbonizng the engine.... one of these days im gonna get pulled over doing a WOT and he's gonna ask me what I was doing and of course i'll innocently say "decarbonizing my engine.."

Don't forget to mention that Bbobynski told you to do it. :lol:

I think ill try some magic mystery oil.. I use it in my weed eater :)

What about that thing where you take out the spark plugs and fill it with cleaner stuff then pump it out later?

Archived