CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

WATER RUSHING!!!!!!!!!! 1998 sts!

Good evening all! 1998 sts!

Does anyone here....every now and then when they are driving their caddi hear water rushing in the dash?? I know.....dont laugh...Im not losing my mind!!!!!!!!!

WHAT IS THIS NOISE!!!!!!!!!

Thanx you

• 2 months later...

It's coming from the heater core. You have air (or exhaust gases) in the cooling system. Check to be sure that the purge line is clear and flows coolant. Has the system been opened recently? Are you experiencing and heat loss in the cabin or overheating of the engine? Are you using coolant? Do you smell coolant at anytime?

It's coming from the heater core. You have air (or exhaust gases) in the cooling system. Check to be sure that the purge line is clear and flows coolant. Has the system been opened recently? Are you experiencing and heat loss in the cabin or overheating of the engine? Are you using coolant? Do you smell coolant at anytime?

Good evening and thank you for the reply.

What is the purge line and where would I find this? I had a coolant change done a couple weeks ago....and I am still getting the noise...temp runs at 12 oclock....and hardly ever goes a little above...and if it does...it goes right back to 12....ususally only in the hot summer....

I do check my coolant level weekly....along with oil....maybe have to add a little coolant a couple times a year...Oil changes are done to spec and use Penz Plat 10w30.

I do smell a bit of coolant under the hood....very faint....and 2 pellets were added during my last flush.

No heat loss.

Nick

Good evening and thank you for the reply.

What is the purge line and where would I find this? I had a coolant change done a couple weeks ago....and I am still getting the noise...temp runs at 12 oclock....and hardly ever goes a little above...and if it does...it goes right back to 12....ususally only in the hot summer....

I do check my coolant level weekly....along with oil....maybe have to add a little coolant a couple times a year...Oil changes are done to spec and use Penz Plat 10w30.

I do smell a bit of coolant under the hood....very faint....and 2 pellets were added during my last flush.

No heat loss.

Nick

My question was how is your heat and your last line told me that. I would have thought that your heat would have been poor. Listen to it again, is it possible that you are hearing the AC system, sometimes I hear noise from my AC system. If it is a coolant sound, it could be that your heater core needs flushing, I suppose, but it would seem to be that you have air in your cooling system.

The purge line ends at the coolant tank. I am not sure how it connects on a 98 but my 96, the purge line is connected to the tank via a 3/8 hose with a clamp at the top of the tank. When the engine is cool with no pressure in the system, start the engine, unscrew the clamp, and gently pull that hose off and see if you have coolant flowing, you should see a steady flow of coolant. Let us know what you find when you do that.

The coolant smell could be from the radiator end tanks, crossover seals, heater pipes, loose clamp, water pump body seal, thermostat seal, etc

Put two or three more tables in the upper hose

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived