CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Remove Rear Door Panel

mpm1732

I have a 2003 CTS and I am trying to replace the LR window regulator (the dealership wanted to charge me $600). I'm having trouble removing the panel on the door. Does anybody have some instructions/pictures to help me out? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2003 CTS and I am trying to replace the LR window regulator (the dealership wanted to charge me $600). I'm having trouble removing the panel on the door. Does anybody have some instructions/pictures to help me out? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On my 03' Deville I had to use a lot of force to pull the panels off the back doors. First I removed the lock cover (little plastic piece that IS the lock on the back door, has a tiny plastic square that flips up then the entire piece lifts off). Then I put a screw driver in between the plastic cover and the door itself. The entire thing is held together with little plastic clips or screws (some of which I lost in the process). The plastic pieces have almost a snapping sound as your are muscling the interior door cover off. I just started by putting the flathead screwdriver as close to one of those pieces as I could. Then I would use the screwdrivers leverage to pop the panel away from the door frame. Getting the panel back on was much easier and I pretty much just set it in place and pushed. I had to kick it a few times to make sure the plastic clips/screws got set back into their screw holes.

2003 Cadillac CTS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Window Regulator Replacement - Rear Door

Removal Procedure

Raise the window to the full up position.

Remove the door trim panel. Refer to Trim Panel Replacement - Side Rear Door .

Remove the water deflector. Refer to Water Deflector Replacement - Rear Door .

Tape the window in the full up position.

Connect the door trim panel wire harness connector.

Loosen the window regulator to window clamp nuts 4 revolutions.

Using the power window switch, lower the window regulator about 1/2 way down.

Disconnect the electrical connector from the power window motor.

Remove the window regulator bolts (1, 2, 3, 4, 5).

Remove the window regulator through the rear access hole in the door panel.

Installation Procedure

Install the window regulator into the door through the rear access hole in the door panel.

Install the window regulator bolts. Tighten

Tighten the bolt (1) to 9 N·m (80 lb in).

Tighten the bolt (2) to 9 N·m (80 lb in).

Tighten the bolt (3) to 9 N·m (80 lb in).

Tighten the bolt (4) to 9 N·m (80 lb in).

Tighten the bolt (5) to 9 N·m (80 lb in).

Remove the tape from the window.

Lower the window into the window regulator clamps.

Connect the power window motor electrical connector.

Important

Start the vehicle to ensure maximum power to the window motor. This is required to fully seat the window for adjustment.

Start the vehicle.

Raise the window to the full up position. Tighten

Tighten the window clamp nuts to 11 N·m (95 lb in).

Inspect the window for proper operation and a tight seal.

Shut off the vehicle.

Install the water deflector. Refer to Water Deflector Replacement - Rear Door .

Install the door trim panel. Refer to Trim Panel Replacement - Side Rear Door .

2003 Cadillac CTS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trim Panel Replacement - Side Rear Door

Tools Required

J 36796 Clip Zip Clip Removal Tool

Removal Procedure

Lower the window.

Ensure the manual lock knob (1) is in the unlock position.

Insert a flat-bladed tool into the top service notch in order to disengage the locking clip (2) located at the front of the manual lock knob (1).

Remove the manual lock knob (1).

Remove the inside handle bezel (1) from the inner door panel in the following order:

Hold the inside handle to the open position.

Insert a flat-bladed tool at the front lower corner of the bezel.

Pry outward on the bezel.

Remove the bezel from the inner door panel.

Insert a flat-bladed tool at the top of the trim cover (1) and pry out to remove the cover.

Remove the door trim panel screws (2).

Use the J 36796 to release the retainers (1) from around the outside edges of the door trim panel.

Slide the door trim panel upwards to release it from the door.

Installation Procedure

Position the door trim panel downward over the manual lock rod.

Align the alignment datums (1) and the electrical connector with the door.

Install the door trim panel by applying pressure around the door trim panel to secure the retainers (1) to the door.

Install the door trim panel screws (2). Tighten

Tighten the screw to 1 N·m (9 lb in).

Install the trim cover (1) to the inner door panel.

Install the inside door handle bezel (1) by pulling out on handle and pressing bezel into retainer.

Push down on the door trim panel behind the bezel while performing the following steps.

Important

Ensure the manual lock rod is in the full up/unlocked position.

Position the manual lock knob (1) into the bezel opening until the locking clip (2) bottoms out on the bezel.

Engage the locking clip (2) located at the front of the lock knob (1) to the lock rod.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived