CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Head Gasket Repair Help.

Ok, I have a 1999 Cadillac Seville SLS. A friend of mine who is very good with cars and used to be a mechanic is helping me out. Is there anybody here that is willing to post a step by step manual of how to get the heads off and everything, basically the whole process. He knows how to do it but itd be appreciated if anybody could help out. We are going to take both heads to a machine shop and get them surfaced and magnifluxed since i dont know what side is messed up and we might as well do both anyways while we got the chance. We are trying to do this without having to raise the car in the air. If anyone has advice, or anything further we need to know please let me know. Thanks.

Where to start.

It appears that you have assumed that the head gasket going out is caused by the head being warped, am I correct?

Why are you magifluxing the head? I am not even sure you CAN magniflux an aluminum head, it might need to be pressure tested.

Listen the reason the head gasket breeches is typically because the head bolt threads pull out of the block. I would timesert the block see this >> http://www.timesert.com and replace the head gaskets and head bolts. You could send the heads out to have them rebuilt, and planed flat but I am not sure that is necessary, those who have done this job will chime in..

You can support the carriage on the ground and lift the body

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

You can't magnaflux aluminum heads, so that's one process you can eliminate.

You need the proper Timesert tool kit and 20 Timeserts. You can get the tool kit and Timeserts from Baum tools in Florida.

Don't even think about using helicoils. Helicoils will pull right out when you attempt to torque the heads.

The "Norms Inserts" tool kit is poorly engineered and not worth the risk of a screwed up repair.

USE TIMESERT ONLY! The tool kit is excellenlty engineered and does the work for you.

And you need a fly wheel lock from Kent Moore.

DON"T TAKE ANY SHORTCUTS!

You start by dropping the cradle.

1. Remove the glove box on the inside of the car, unplug the wiring harness and vacuum line, pull the harness through the firewall.

I had to make the same repair on my '97 Eldorado two years ago and can help walk you through the process.

You'll spend about $1,000.00 on parts and tools. When you're finished you'll have a great sense of satisfaction and you'll also understand why you don't like front wheel drive cars.

It's not difficult, but it is a lot of work.

Can we back up for a minute or two here?

What diagnostic steps have you taken that steered you to head gasket failure?

What symptoms have you been diagnosing?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Alright, I have had this overheating problem for a year with the car. Took it to the cadillac dealer they diagnosed headgaskets, offered $5400 repair. They said My rear lower crankcase is leaking oil also. I did a combustion leak test and it came back positive. I'm not losing any coolant, but my coolant is brown colored. The car smells like antifreeze while driving. I have changed the thermostat to see if that was faulty, no luck. It wont always overheat on me, but usually if I drive for an extended period of time, it will...especially on the highway. Sometimes the engine also has loss of power. We are ready to start on this repair our selves, just need to know what all tools we will need. A Step by step instruction would work...but idk where I am going to find one.

.... I did a combustion leak test and it came back positive.

Are you saying there are combustion by-products in the coolant?

I'm not losing any coolant...

Coolant loss is usually the first symptom of head gasket failure.

but my coolant is brown colored.

That would be normal if the cooling system has been properly treated with the recommended GM supplement material.

The car smells like antifreeze while driving.

That could easily be an external leak.

If you have not checked for coolant flow from the purge line, I urge you to do that before you order any tools or parts.

Remove the rubber hose from the top of the coolant reservoir and observe a stream of coolant with a cold engine at idle. There must be coolant flow for the system to operate properly.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived