CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

trunk pull down

GOOB

i bought a trunk pull down motor on ebay and now i need to get it installed PROPERLY. attempted to do it this weekend but i kept overheating the motor. when i install and close the trunk it will close it properly. when i pop the trunk to check it, the pulldown mechanism is not going up because it appears that it was retracted too far into the housing. this overheated the motor so i disassembled, swapped out the motors and adjusted it a little. once again, it closed nicely but the pull down mechanism did not adjust for the next closing. is there a little trick that i am missing?

thanx

Goob, the manual for my 96 has no adjustment and I bet yours is the same, I've got the same problem and found out the plastic gears are stripped(I believe you have a clear plastic box with the gears) goes down fine but when you release it just runs and doesnt move. I just unplugged the motor till i can et the whole unit from a wrecking yard.

Good Luck, Joe

I would check the lower limit switch for proper operation. Open the trunk and look at the motor asm. You will see the paddle that will shut off the motor when the trunk is at the proper height. Easy to test with an ohm-meter.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

before i actually tried closing the trunk, i connected the plug and let the motor run and whenever i manually pressed the "paddle" it would stop (as advertised). the plastic gears on the inside are good. i have already disassembled the assy a few times (that is the problem with my old one). guess i'll play around a little more until the motors COMPLETELY fail.

figured it out...

the top metal tab on the motor's extended striker (part that moves up and down) was not straight so it was slipping by the switch and not actuating it to the down position and shutting the motor off. used a screw driver and grip pliers to bend it down and then straighten it out and it know works as advertised...no more slamming the trunk (for a little while anyway)

Archived