CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Replacement shield? front end

98eldocoupe

A rubberized tar paper like fabric (~1/8" in thickness) splash shield has been removed from under the entire front end underside of the bumper and wondering what exactly this is called and is there a replacement available out there? Also wondering if the air flow thru the engine and radiator is disrupted with this removed. At speeds it would seem that this shield would allow air to pass thru the radiator, with it missing, it seem to possible just exit below the open area, possibly increasing the chance for overheating. With the winter also around the corner this would seem to also protect the under area of the radiator and fans from salt and corrosion. 1998 Eldorado-Thanks

eldofrontvl3.jpg

This shield is held in with push-in plastic brads. I have found that my local hardware store has exact replacements in their fastener department.

This shield protects the A/C condenser and the power steering cooler from road debris. I know of someone who had a 2000 Pontiac van and his mechanic took it out and threw it away. The resulting A/C bills a year later included a new condenser, which developed pinhole leaks because he didn't replace the shield. That, and the mechanic didn't replace his coolant either and the GM 3.4 V6 had a slow head leak for years that required replacement of the head. In the end, he replaced both the Pontiac and the mechanic. He loves his new Nisan van, but misses the gas mileage of his Pontiac, which also performed better and had a slightly better ride.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Eric is correct. My mechanic says that leaving this off can make your car run hot. Of course, I'm more concerned about keeping rocks off the A/C condenser.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

i took mine off when i pulled the motor. its on a shelf in the garage. i might put it back on someday. along with the top cover between the radiator support and headlights. i don't know if they are available at the dealer. i have my DIC dialed in for coolant temp. i look at it occasionally. yesterday in the drivethru it was 217. i got on the highway and it dropped to 196. woohoo. than it usually moves back up to 201-205. i think the thermostat stays open too long sometimes.

I think that the air deflector is something you can make from a roll of tar paper, like making a gasket. If you have the old one, it's easy, but not too difficult if you have just the car to work with. I would check with an auto parts store for the raw material, or, failing that, subroofing from a lumber and construction supplies house would likely do just fine.

Archived